Explosions and particle like effects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have decided to finish off some of my half baked games and projects that i have lying around and am currently finishing off my Space Invaders game in smallBasic. I would like to add some explosion effects to my game and am wondering how to go about it. I have done plenty of coding but don't really know where to start when it comes to the physics side of it and anything i find in other languages (C/C++ and C# XNA mostly) is all about creating a lovely particle engine which isn't very helpful to me! So basically anyone got an example of a nice explosion effect or any other effects for that matter.

Thanks!

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:17 PM

Answers

• A simple method is this program PWB232. It is not a physical method but an effect.

Best Regards Martin
    • Marked as answer by _msanders_ Monday, July 26, 2010 8:56 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Take a look at STARGATES.  It has some cool explosion effects when the spaceship gets killed.

Monday, July 26, 2010 5:59 PM

All replies

• A simple method is this program PWB232. It is not a physical method but an effect.

Best Regards Martin
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Thanks, Could you upload the images as well? As i am not too sure what they are supposed to look like!

EDIT: actually don't worry about the image!

Has anyone got a particle based one? I would like to use a Bigger explosion when the player gets killed or every now and then to add some variety and use martmen's one for just killing the alien. Thanks!

• Unmarked as answer by _msanders_ Monday, July 26, 2010 8:56 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Take a look at STARGATES.  It has some cool explosion effects when the spaceship gets killed.

Monday, July 26, 2010 5:59 PM

aah cool i really needed the maths, I think i am going to use both solutions and use one image like martmen's as smoke and the code from stargates as bits 
    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:56 PM