none
VS Merge tool result is awful

Question

• Hello!
    Earlier today I tried to merge branches in the project and found really awful merge result from the built-in merge tool into VS2015, although the compare tool works perfectly and shows me only the changes in the code, not the whole blocks, which I can't merge easily in 'two clicks'.
    Here are two screenshots, from the merge tool and the compare tool, as you can see the difference is enormous.

I tried did merge from the VS and the SourceTree tool - the same result.
    That is a bug or something else? How I can change something? Sometimes merging like that, which is very simple, takes a lot of time to merge by hand.

merge tool

compare tool

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Dmytro Bondarenko,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

You can use VS to merge conflict files by hand. 

1. After you click merge, please choose Mixed view so that you can modify a conflict file in result window.

1. Select the version you want to based on (source, target or both of them), then modify as you want in result window.

1. After you finish modification, click Accept Merge for all conflict files.

Click Commit Merge -> input comment -> Commit Staged, then you will find files keep the version as you modified

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Hi Dmytro Bondarenko,

What about this issue? Would you please share us the latest information about this issue? Could you get useful information from Joyce's suggestion?

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 3:54 PM