none
Is it Microsoft Word change the size of check box based on fonts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

When i insert the checkbox in MS Word and set size as 32. But this check box size was differ based on the fonts even though i give constant value to all the check boxes.

Is it MS Word change the size of the check box based on font? if it true then what is the purpose of defining its size?

if i want to view all the check box in same size with different font what can i do?

Can anyone help me regarding these?

Regards, Vijay

Monday, May 2, 2016 11:53 AM

Answers

• The size of every character in a given font is determined by that font's specifications, not just the nominal point size. This is no different than ordinary characters in Arial, for example, being larger than the same characters in TNR which, in turn, are larger than their counterparts in Garamond, at the same point size.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, May 2, 2016 12:16 PM

All replies

• The size of every character in a given font is determined by that font's specifications, not just the nominal point size. This is no different than ordinary characters in Arial, for example, being larger than the same characters in TNR which, in turn, are larger than their counterparts in Garamond, at the same point size.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, May 2, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I have inserted two check box in Word document and set size as 30 and give different font for each of them.

Both of them in different size. What is the reason for these, why it give different size even though i specified constant size for both of them?

Regards, Vijay

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:38 AM
  • I have already explained this. Please read my previous reply.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:40 AM
  • Hi Paul,

If i want to set constant size for all check box with different fonts.

what can i do? is there any possibilities for these?

Regards,

Vijay

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:54 AM
  • If you want the checkboxes all to have the same size, use the same font for them.

You cannot reliably achieve a consistent checkbox size with different fonts. Although you could try adjusting the point sizes for each font to reduce the differences, you're limited in only being able to adjust in 0.5pt increments and, so, you're unlikely to achieve exact sizing equivalence and, at the same time, you're liable to cause other distortions in your document layout (e.g. uneven line spacing).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:04 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,

Vijay

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:21 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Currently i'm implementing a tool for Word document to image rendering and i'm getting this issue while trying to render the check box using GDI+ functionality. Do you have any idea whether Microsoft Word have an algorithm to get the exact Width and height of the check box, so that I can develop the same in my application? Please any one can help me on this to get my issue resolved.

Advance Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:49 AM
  • This is not really anything to do with Microsoft Word. It concerns font properties that are common to all Windows applications. To get those, you would need code that can open the actual font file to read the character attributes from its character table. See, for example: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xwf9s90b(v=vs.110).aspx And, of course, once your document starts messing around with font scaling (another method you might use to get the checkboxes to be a consistent size), you'd have to take that into account as well.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:26 AM