none
Connection between 2 SQL servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have 2 SQL servers, one running SQL Server 2005(server1) and the other is running SQL Server 2005 express edition(server2). When I try to connect server2 from server 1, I get the error

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I have enabled remote connections on SQL server surface area configuration on both servers, but I still get same error. Can anyone help me fix this issue. I have to be able to access the databases on server2 from server1 using stored procedures.

Thank you for all your help

SKB

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:50 PM

All replies

• Are you able to connect to the express instance on server 2 from a client application (sqlquery, Sql Server Management Studio, etc)? From a client application running on the first server?

Often this issue can be that the firewall is blocking required ports of you are not using the correct instance name for the express instance. If you are not connecting to a specific port in the connection string (example: "server=server2,1433;..."), then the Sql Browser service needs to be running, it's port must be open through the firewall (port 1434) as well as the db instances' port and you need to include the express instance name in the connection string (example: "server=server2\SQLExpress;...")
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:58 PM