none
VS2015 - So disappointed

Question

• I am a BizSpark member, trying to do development, working on a project using the TeamSpeak3 SDK. My normal platform is VS2005 or 2008, experience in the VB side. This SDK requires 2015 and its in C#. So I started off with the 2015 Community edition, using a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional on a VMWare workstation. Generally, no internet connection is allowed for safety reasons.

After a few weeks, the net was allowed, had to FIGHT to get windows update to work ONCE (never worked since) and along the way, VS2015 said "Hey great BizSpark member, you can upgrade to VS2015 Enterprise... so I did. Removed the old community edition, installed Enterprise Update 3.

After using this for a few months, I have to say I am not impressed. Many times, it takes *forever* to load a project. Even something simple like a blank windows form with no code. Three times now, I've had the "you should report this to Microsoft" pop up.

When I deal with my project, about 1 out of 5 times, after a fresh compile.. and I run it.. it craps out saying that some controls values were not initialized correctly, have null values... causes a run time failure. OR.. When the program loads and I connect into my SDK server and get a list of channels, they will create nodes in the treeview control. And when I click on a node, it crashes the program saying the node key has a null value. You can't create a node with a null value so how does this happen?

Frequently during testing, I will create events for things (such as on-click etc) and then decide there is a better way or a different event I need to use... and when I use the designer to delete that event, it also deletes all of the code I put into the event, but leaves the shell intact. OR if I am in code view, decide I dont want that event and delete it.. designer view craps out on loading because the event isn't there, and I have to put it back in again.

This is but a small list of issues I have. From what I can tell, there are no bug fixes to version 3... if there are, windows update never gives me anything, it just spins for hours on end "getting updates", and never finds a thing for *anything*.

Is the community edition any better? More stable?

I can't believe Microsoft lets these things happen. If I can't code a program that is stable and works, then it makes it really tough to remain in BizSpark.

Just sayin...

Gary

Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:05 PM

Answers

• Looked at that link.. I think I will just use the normal way. But thanks anyway. I appreciate the time. There is no real "solution/answer" for this, this is something that Microsoft needs to fix.
    • Marked as answer by ConcertsAdmin Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Firstly, sorry for the inconvenience that troubles you and thank you for your feedback.

>> So I started off with the 2015 Community edition, using a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional on a VMWare workstation.

Please make sure your OS is upgraded to the Windows 7 SP1 and windows update is up-to-date, since the VS 2015 support on the Win 7 SP1 which we can know it from Visual Studio 2015 System Requirements, that can help you to avoid the unnecessary incompatibility issues.

>> Generally, no internet connection is allowed for safety reasons.

When you try to install the VS 2015 versions on offline computer, you need to download an offline installer of VS 2015 on the computer which has the internet connection, for the detail information to get the offline installer, please check Create an Offline Installation of Visual Studio

>> VS2015 said "Hey great BizSpark member, you can upgrade to VS2015 Enterprise... so I did. Removed the old community edition, installed Enterprise Update 3.

Did you meet any warning or error message when you install the VS enterprise 2015 with update 3? Or could you please go to Control Panel-Programs and Features and right click the VS enterprise 2015 with update 3, choose Change-Repair, if it not completes successfully, I need your help to collect the installation logs, you can use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

>> if there are, windows update never gives me anything, it just spins for hours on end "getting updates", and never finds a thing for *anything*.

Usually, if there is any update for VS 2015 or the installed extension, there should have a notice icon at the upper right corner of the VS windows, or you can go to Tools—Extensions and Updates… and there is a tab names ‘Updates’ and you can choose to install the updates.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 5:36 AM
  • Sorry, I get so used to my system I sometimes forget to mention specifics. Yes, the OS is SP1, 64 bit, running on an AMD 6 core system with 8 gb of ram. The VM is configured for 3 processors and 4 gb of ram (with 1 gb used for the video), so there is more than adequate resources for it to work. And when I run the VM to do coding, I have nothing running in the main system.

There were no errors in the first install of VS2015, other than I did a custom install. Despite NOT selecting things like SQL and Silverlight, it installed them anyway and I had to remove them.

I did do a "repair" on VS2015 before, with no changes or errors. I am doing another one now at your request. I started it around 9 am this morning, and it is now 10:45 am... its sitting on "configuring your system. This may take a while..." and has been for about the last 30 minutes.

The VS package was a full ISO image, just over 7gb in size, downloaded from Bizspark. As I was doing this reply, the 'repair' finally finished.. Apparently there were issues with Visual C++ 2015 Redist x64 and x86 packages (version 14.0.2410) saying that another version was already installed. Which is true, version 14.0.24215 (newer) is already installed... *pfft*.

I will "remove" those after the VM reboots from the 'repair', and run repair again.

EDIT: Rebooted, removed new versions of the C++ files, re-ran "repair".. no issues.
    • Edited by ConcertsAdmin Friday, December 30, 2016 8:00 PM see edit
    Friday, December 30, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Oh.. I should add.. "no issues" meant no reported errors during the 'repair'.

However after running my source code, there were issues reported about incompatible versions, and from that, I again re-ran the repair, which then installed the "updated" C++ files that it complained it could not update before.

(rolls eyes)

The issues of slow loading (at times) and run time errors that are impossible to happen (aka null tree nodes that HAVE been created), and the blatant removal of code IN event coding (aka, like "on click" etc, as explained at the start of this thread) are still there.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your update.

>>The issues of slow loading (at times) and run time errors that are impossible to happen (aka null tree nodes that HAVE been created), and the blatant removal of code IN event coding (aka, like "on click" etc, as explained at the start of this thread) are still there.

So now your issue is the blatant removal of code IN event, what's your project type?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 02, 2017 8:22 AM
  • All of the issues I had at the start of this thread, remain... The project is a C# windows form application, using the Teamspeak3 SDK system.

There is a client side (windows form) and a server side (C++ based). The server side code clearly does not have the "events" issues but it does also suffer from the occasional slow loading. There are times with both project files, where it can take 30-45 seconds (or more) for the project to load. This will cause a "Visual studio is not responding" message to appear at the top of the project. Other times, it will load in 5-10 seconds.

I suspect Microsoft is aware of the loading issues, otherwise it would not cause a message to appear saying "you should report this..." Course, it never says how or where... I am guessing they want me to use the "send feedback" option within visual studio.

This leads me back to my other question at the start... :)

Since I am not part of a "team", I have no use for any of the 'cloud based' options within Enterprise itself... would I be better off removing Enterprise and going back to the "community" version?

Monday, January 02, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Hi Gary,

>>would I be better off removing Enterprise and going back to the "community" version?

Yes, you can try to remove the enterprise version and back the community version, see if it works fine or not. To completely remove the enterprise version, you can download the VisualStudioUninstaller then use it to uninstall.

If you meet any installation issue, please collect the installation log through the collect tool that I mentioned in my first reply and share it, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Looked at that link.. I think I will just use the normal way. But thanks anyway. I appreciate the time. There is no real "solution/answer" for this, this is something that Microsoft needs to fix.
    • Marked as answer by ConcertsAdmin Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2017 2:06 PM