none
msi install for both x86 and 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have an outlook plugin that I have developer using VS-2010 and have a setup project that installs it.  However, I would like to have the installer check if the target machine is 64-bit and then install my plugin as a 64-bit application.  This would include installing the appropriate Redemption dll also.

Is there a way to readily do this using VS and it's setup project?  If not what is a better approach?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:54 PM

Answers

• An MSI installer can only be for x86 or x64. It can't be for both unfortunately. Where I have addins that support both x86 and x64 I use separate installers.

It's not the version of Windows that matters (x86 or x64), it's the version of Office. A 32-bit version of Office would use an x86 installer even if Windows is x64.

To check for the bitness of Office you can check the registry, either as a custom action in your installer or as a bootstrapper prerequisite in a setup.exe that calls your MSI.

The registry key is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\ and you'd read the Bitness value. Bitness is a REG_SZ value and for 32-bit would be "x86", for 64-bit it would be "x64". The "14.0" would be for Outlook 2010, for 2007 it would be "12.0", for Outlook 2013 it would be "15.0".

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "jskufca" <=?utf-8?B?anNrdWZjYQ==?=> wrote in message news:e84feb06-ddf7-4e76-9988-1f3ae6c041e7...

I have an outlook plugin that I have developer using VS-2010 and have a setup project that installs it.  However, I would like to have the installer check if the target machine is 64-bit and then install my plugin as a 64-bit application.  This would include installing the appropriate Redemption dll also.

Is there a way to readily do this using VS and it's setup project?  If not what is a better approach?

Thanks in advance

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Sure it's possible.

You need to view the user interface for the setup project in Visual Studio. That gives you access to the various installer screens. You can enable or disable various screens and you can set the image to be used in each screen. The images must be JPG or BMP format and should be 500 pixels wide and 70 pixels high for best results.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "jskufca" <=?utf-8?B?anNrdWZjYQ==?=> wrote in message news:282560d7-1da8-4255-a1c6-cd8a7ff4225f...

I have an outlook plugin that I have developer using VS-2010 and have a setup project that installs it.  I would like my logo to appear in the installation dialogs.  Is this possible using VS?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

All replies

• I have an outlook plugin that I have developer using VS-2010 and have a setup project that installs it.  I would like my logo to appear in the installation dialogs.  Is this possible using VS?

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi Jskufca,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It seems that the other thread of you which is named Custom branding of msi installer created with VS-2010 is the same with this one. Therefore I'll merge them together.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Quist

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:27 AM
  • An MSI installer can only be for x86 or x64. It can't be for both unfortunately. Where I have addins that support both x86 and x64 I use separate installers.

It's not the version of Windows that matters (x86 or x64), it's the version of Office. A 32-bit version of Office would use an x86 installer even if Windows is x64.

To check for the bitness of Office you can check the registry, either as a custom action in your installer or as a bootstrapper prerequisite in a setup.exe that calls your MSI.

The registry key is HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\ and you'd read the Bitness value. Bitness is a REG_SZ value and for 32-bit would be "x86", for 64-bit it would be "x64". The "14.0" would be for Outlook 2010, for 2007 it would be "12.0", for Outlook 2013 it would be "15.0".

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "jskufca" <=?utf-8?B?anNrdWZjYQ==?=> wrote in message news:e84feb06-ddf7-4e76-9988-1f3ae6c041e7...

I have an outlook plugin that I have developer using VS-2010 and have a setup project that installs it.  However, I would like to have the installer check if the target machine is 64-bit and then install my plugin as a 64-bit application.  This would include installing the appropriate Redemption dll also.

Thanks in advance

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
  • Sure it's possible.

You need to view the user interface for the setup project in Visual Studio. That gives you access to the various installer screens. You can enable or disable various screens and you can set the image to be used in each screen. The images must be JPG or BMP format and should be 500 pixels wide and 70 pixels high for best results.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "jskufca" <=?utf-8?B?anNrdWZjYQ==?=> wrote in message news:282560d7-1da8-4255-a1c6-cd8a7ff4225f...

I have an outlook plugin that I have developer using VS-2010 and have a setup project that installs it.  I would like my logo to appear in the installation dialogs.  Is this possible using VS?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook