Web Form Executes when called from the browser but not from scheduler RRS feed

• Question

• User-1633045945 posted

Hello all,

I have an app hosted on GoDaddy shared server and I am using the Plesk Parallels Scheduler to visit a dailyreports page every day. 

The dailyreports page generates a daily report and saves it to pdf automatically and emails a copy of the report to administrators on page.load. This works fine when a user opens the page; however, when the scheduler visits the page nothing is displayed, no errors are thrown and no report is produced.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what can I do to find out how to fix this... BTW, other pages that I have visited by the scheduler, that don't save files to directories, work.

Could it possibly be a permissions problem?

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:22 PM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

This is the nature of GoDaddy web hosting, it is highly restrictive; not to mention they pack so many web sites onto each of their shared hosting platforms. In fact several I have queried by IP Address show upward of 600+ websites stacked onto the same server. Their cheapest package that BuyVM.net charges only $10 per month for is $29.99. Comes down to price and service. BuyVM.net treated me very well; GoDaddy was lackluster in their support and service level agreement.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:19 PM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

GoDaddy is essentially jailed access as in you cannot run processes like that. You need your own VPS to do stuff like that. They are highly restrictive because they overload their servers. I would strongly recommend you find a cheap Windows VPS providing this is not mission critical. If it is, either get a high grade VPS solution or host the server on premises if this is for your workplace. To be honest, I trust godaddy for one thing and one thing only, DNS hosting. Beyond that, I do not trust them. Anyone who talks about joining them, I strongly recommend they do not. Also, their VPS service is roughly $40.00 per month for the cheapest plan. You might want to look at FranTech VPS, just $20 per month for the 1 gig plan. Here's more info on them.

https://buyvm.net/windows-vps/

Affordable Windows KVM VPS

Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 available with every service.

WINDOWS 512

• 2 Cores @ 2.00+ GHz
    • 512 MB Memory
    • 50 GB SATA Storage
    • 2 TB Bandwidth
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • $10.00 per month

ORDER THIS PACKAGE

WINDOWS 1024

• 4 Cores @ 2.00+ GHz
    • 1024 MB Memory
    • 100 GB SATA Storage
    • 5 TB Bandwidth
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • $20.00 per month

ORDER THIS PACKAGE

WINDOWS 2048

• 4 Core @ 2.00+ GHz
    • 2048 MB Memory
    • 150 GB SATA Storage
    • 10 TB Bandwidth
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • $40.00 per month

ORDER THIS PACKAGE

WINDOWS 4096

• 8 Cores @ 2.00+ GHz
    • 4096 MB Memory
    • 200 GB SATA Storage
    • 15 TB Bandwidth
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • $80.00 per month

ORDER THIS PACKAGE

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:37 PM
  • User-1633045945 posted

So this is an app that I wrote for Fire Departments and it's very critical. The buyvm.net looks awesome! I've been with GoDaddy forever and I've never used another web host... Now that I developed something on my own and the app needs scheduler support. Good thing I caught the report scheduling problem a little early.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:00 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

But then it should throw. Try to narrow down what happens rather than trying to guess. I see basically 3 options:
    - this code is actually not called at all
    - or it does throw but the exception is ignored for some reason
    - or you do have a valid code path that doesn't produce the expected result

You don't have a kind of trace  that would allow to narrow down what happens. Or could it be just that this page returns a login page or whatever rather than really calling the targeted page? The scheduler doesn't allow to see for example an http status code ???

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:01 PM
  • User-718146471 posted

This is the nature of GoDaddy web hosting, it is highly restrictive; not to mention they pack so many web sites onto each of their shared hosting platforms. In fact several I have queried by IP Address show upward of 600+ websites stacked onto the same server. Their cheapest package that BuyVM.net charges only $10 per month for is $29.99. Comes down to price and service. BuyVM.net treated me very well; GoDaddy was lackluster in their support and service level agreement.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:19 PM