Upgrade from VS2005 to VS2010 - Issues/tips etc RRS feed

• Question

• Looking to submit a recommendation for upgrading from VS2005 PRO to VS2010 Ultimate for development team. I would like to know whether there are any particular issues in upgrading direct from 2005 to 2010. Also, what is the level of change that is required to a VS2005 solution when first opening in VS2010. Thanks for any advice
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:50 PM

Answers

• The VS2008 projects I have upgraded have been pretty straight forwards if I keep the target framework the same i.e. 3.5 (or 2.0 in your case).  I have had problems when trying to change the target framework to 4.0 as some of the earlier libraries are no longer accessable.  In particular I was using DirectX directsound to play recorded phone calls.  The directX library is no longer listed in the available libraries when adding a reference and when I add a reference by pointing to the directsound dll the application will no longer run.

VS2010 is not stable on my development PC.  It hangs frequently.  A couple times I have had to hard reset my PC.  (I have never had problems like this with VS2008).

The new VS2010 features are beautiful... but it is not stable yet.

When will SP1 be released?

Dev PC = XP 32bit OS VS2010 Ultimate

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:41 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Hi FIMSS,

Thank you for your post.

If we want to upgrade VS2005 project to VS2010, we can directly open the VS2005 project in VS2010 IDE. Visual Studio Conversion wizard will automatically migrate VS2005 project to VS2010. Please remember to backup your VS2005 project before migration.

I'm not quite familiar with your project. However, if you have any concern after migration, you might consult you concern on the following forums so that you will get more specific useful help there.

For VB.NET -  Visual Basic General forum
    For C# - Visual C# General forum
    For C++ - Visual C++ General forum
    For more forums, see: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/

I hope that this can help you. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:21 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:40 AM typo
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Hi FIMSS,

Does the above suggestion work?

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by FIMSS Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:03 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:41 AM

All replies

• The VS2008 projects I have upgraded have been pretty straight forwards if I keep the target framework the same i.e. 3.5 (or 2.0 in your case).  I have had problems when trying to change the target framework to 4.0 as some of the earlier libraries are no longer accessable.  In particular I was using DirectX directsound to play recorded phone calls.  The directX library is no longer listed in the available libraries when adding a reference and when I add a reference by pointing to the directsound dll the application will no longer run.

VS2010 is not stable on my development PC.  It hangs frequently.  A couple times I have had to hard reset my PC.  (I have never had problems like this with VS2008).

The new VS2010 features are beautiful... but it is not stable yet.

When will SP1 be released?

Dev PC = XP 32bit OS VS2010 Ultimate

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:41 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Hi FIMSS,

Thank you for your post.

If we want to upgrade VS2005 project to VS2010, we can directly open the VS2005 project in VS2010 IDE. Visual Studio Conversion wizard will automatically migrate VS2005 project to VS2010. Please remember to backup your VS2005 project before migration.

I'm not quite familiar with your project. However, if you have any concern after migration, you might consult you concern on the following forums so that you will get more specific useful help there.

For VB.NET -  Visual Basic General forum
    For C# - Visual C# General forum
    For C++ - Visual C++ General forum
    For more forums, see: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/

I hope that this can help you. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:21 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:40 AM typo
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Hi FIMSS,

Does the above suggestion work?

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by FIMSS Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:03 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:41 AM