none
Two factor authentication with device secret? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we use two factor authentication to access Project Online PWA.

We are looking to interrogate/integrate the PWA data with a service call.

Is there a way of creating a 'device secret' and implement it into c# code, callable from a service?

Thanks

Stew

Sunday, February 3, 2019 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Stewa11,

Sorry for that. I do not find something new. I would keep on searching. If I find something new, I will feedback.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Stewa11 Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Stewa11,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, what is the type of your project?

If you just want to log in website with authentication, you could try the way below.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/930807/login-to-website-via-c-sharp

But, if you doing this using a ASP.NET web application, you could post a new thread in ASP.NET forum.

https://forums.asp.net/

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Stanly Fan Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stewa11 Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:38 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 3:41 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

thanks for the answer. The company I work for don't use ASP.NET. It would be nice to receive a steer of what to do here.

Best Regards

Stewart

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 11:39 AM
  • Hi Stewart,

Have you try the first link I provided?

We always use PWA with ASP.NET. Is there something special? Could you provide more details?

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:42 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

I followed the first link and while it does help to get to the lower level responses, it doesn't help with our case when PWA is requesting a 2 factor response. When we automate the login procedure it is not a person with a code from a mobile device, it's a machine. Is there a way of coding the 2 factor approach working with a machine? I think not and I need a quick and obvious steer to show the programmer.

From what I can tell, 2 factor authentication is where we involve a person. For machine login we need another approach. Is that correct? I have looked on asp.net forum and it would suggest the answer is Yes.

It would be good to have an answer here because when understanding the Project Online data tables via the Excel approach to login using OAuth, it is almost inevitable that there will be sites using 2 factor authentication that will need to implement a different login approach for mechanised/web services login.

thank you for helping

Stewart

Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:17 AM
  • Hi Stewa11,

If your question has been solved, please mark the useful reply as answer to close the thread. This will make answer searching easier in the forum and be beneficial to community members.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:55 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

sorry but my question was specifically concerning programmatic login (without user involvement) to PWA using 2 factor authentication and since there has been no answers that specifically answer the question then I hesitate in marking this thread as complete.

I understand that it is possible for a device to be given a code that serves as a unique 2nd code, without a person looking on a mobile and typing into a screen.

I hope that makes my question clearer.

Best Regards

Stewart

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:03 PM
  • Hi Stewa11,

Sorry for that. I do not find something new. I would keep on searching. If I find something new, I will feedback.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Stewa11 Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:47 AM