Many fields accross multiple tabs RRS feed

• Question

• User2074931137 posted

I have successfully created a webform with just over fifty fields.

Fifty fields seems a lot of fields to me already (and was a real bear to get funtioning properly) and I will be adding probably close to another 100 fields by the time I'm finished.  I would like to divide these fifty fields accross two tabs (and eventually the 100 or more fields accross four or five tabs).

I started  to divide the fifty fields into two separate web pages with tabs at top to take the user from one tab (form) to another tab (form) only to realize that I there will be issues with having to submit information entered into one tab (form) before going to the next tab (form) at which point the user would have lost the original record...you see where I'm going with this...

So my next thought is that the separate tabs will have to be part of one single very large page with the tabs taking the user to different parts of the same page so that the submit button, when pressed, will act on all the fields in that one single large web form.

How is this sort of thing normally handled?

Thanks for any input.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• User-821857111 posted
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 12:37 AM
  • User2074931137 posted

Thanks Mike -

I can definately use the solution you suggested above for certain functions of this database.  It will be great to guide end users to input data.

What I'm trying to create here is a page for administrators to enter data and as such it won't require that level of GUI.

I would still like to know how to structure this administrator's data entry web form with, say 100 fields, accross multiple tabs (3 or 4 tabs) with a single submit button.

like I said, I began splitting the web page into separate pages - figuring each page of code would be a different tab - only to realize midway that the single entry button was going to pose a problem for separate pages of code; which got me to thinking that perhaps there is a way to write multiple tabs accross a single page with the tabs bringing user to different places i n the single page of code.

Any additional input appreciated.  Thanks. 

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:19 PM
  • User-895806331 posted

I have this same question, but about 2-1/2 years later. My plan is to stick the data into a session, like a shopping cart, and then submit it all at once. However, I perfer not to move data to session, then back again if I can just leave the data in the fields and access them during submission. I am looking for answers. We cant do partial saves, which would solve the issue. It is all or nothing.

So, does anyone know the best solution, other than a wizard approach?

Friday, June 7, 2013 9:09 AM