none
Categorized properties in ActiveX control RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings to all, I'm developing ActiveX control (in Delphi) and control itself works fine for example in Word.

Now I would like to add groupping of properties into appropriate categories. From what I've found it could be done by implementing ICategorizeProperties. I've based my implementation on interface declaration from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.visualstudio.shell.interop.icategorizeproperties.aspx.

Problem is that after a call to GetCategoryName Word crashes. At the same time, function works if called from my test App. I've also tried to call GetCategoryName for some of standard window controls (StatusBar for example) but it crashes my test app. Calling MapPropertyToCategory works (although StatusBar returns E_NOTIMPL).

Only explanatation I have is that it is because of some sort of incompatibility between what Word/Excel expects in declaration and what I do, my Can you help with some pointers or further documentation about that?

Best regards,

Igor

Saturday, May 17, 2014 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.
    I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!
    Best regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:19 AM
  • > I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your

> patience will be greatly appreciated.

Your help and involvement is much appreciated, thank you. I will wait for reply.

Best regards,

Igor

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Hi Igor,

If I understand correctly, ICategorizeProperties Interface should be used in Visual Studio extension development.

A VSPackage implements ICategorizeProperties so that Visual Studio can display the project's or project elements' properties in the appropriate categories in its property view.

I believe what you are looking for is “Property Page” for ActiveX control.

MFC ActiveX Controls: Property Pages

Implementing the Default Property Page

If you use the ActiveX Control Wizard to create your control project, the ActiveX Control Wizard provides a default property page class for the control derived from COlePropertyPage Class. Initially, this property page is blank, but you can add any dialog box control or set of controls to it. Because the ActiveX Control Wizard creates only one property page class by default, additional property page classes (also derived from COlePropertyPage) must be created using Class View.

Hope it will help. By the way, for questions about ActiveX control development in C++. I suggest you to post them on C++ Standards, Extensions, and Interop forum or Visual C++ forum for more efficient response.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:27 AM
  • > I believe what you are looking for is “Property Page”

> for ActiveX control.

Let me ilustrate with an example:
    Open word and add Microsoft TreeView control from more controls option, then right click on control and select properties. You should get something like:

Now I want to group my properties into similiar categories just like it's for TreeView control (Appearance, Behaviour, Misc).

Property Page isn't quite like that, from what I've managed to find correct solution is ICategorizeProperties.

> Hope it will help. By the way, for questions about ActiveX
    > control development in C++. I suggest you to post them on
    > C++ Standards, Extensions, and Interop forum or Visual C++
    > forum for more efficient

I'm creating ActiveX control in Delphi, so I thought this to be a more appropriate forum.

Thank you for your kind help,

Igor

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:55 PM