none
Launch from IStillImage freezes the app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  My C# app registers itself using the IStillImage interface, and the RegisterLaunchApplication method, such that when we connect a camera, our program is listed in the box that comes up, and from there we can run the software.  Recently, it's become the case that launching the app this way causes it to freeze, although running it normally never does.  There are no parameters passed through, nothing should run any different to if I double click on the app.  What happens is, it shows a second thread in task manager, which, if you go to the process, goes to explorer.exe.  This thread is the only one not responding at first, then the other one also dies, and Windows informs you that you need to close the app, etc.  There is definately no visible UI to go along with the other thread.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
    Thursday, May 4, 2006 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Christian,

From your description, I understand that your program runs well for a period of time.
    But recently it did not work(hang in the exproler.exe)

I assume your code and hardware device should be OK, if you did not change the hardware or change your code.
    So the problem should be the environment.
    From your description, your program should be somewhat related with explore.exe(our program is listed in the box that comes up, and from there we can run the software). This the Shell's job, the explorer.exe process.

Have you made some change to your system? e.g. Install some hardware or software.
    You may try to uninstall your program(especially your registry setting) and reinstall it.

Since I am not familar with StillImage, I suggest you post the concrete IStillImage issue in the specified newsgroup.
    There are many exporters there.
    microsoft.public.platformsdk.multimedia

Also to troubleshooting such hang issue may need lowlevel debugging and may need create hang dump. If the issue is urgent, you may want to work with Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) for a faster resolution. Once you open a Support incident with Microsoft CSS, a dedicated Support Professional can work with you in a more efficient manner.

http://support.microsoft.com

If you still have any concern, please feel free to post here.

Best regards,
    Peter Huang

Friday, May 5, 2006 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Christian,

From your description, I understand that your program runs well for a period of time.
    But recently it did not work(hang in the exproler.exe)

I assume your code and hardware device should be OK, if you did not change the hardware or change your code.
    So the problem should be the environment.
    From your description, your program should be somewhat related with explore.exe(our program is listed in the box that comes up, and from there we can run the software). This the Shell's job, the explorer.exe process.

Have you made some change to your system? e.g. Install some hardware or software.
    You may try to uninstall your program(especially your registry setting) and reinstall it.

Since I am not familar with StillImage, I suggest you post the concrete IStillImage issue in the specified newsgroup.
    There are many exporters there.
    microsoft.public.platformsdk.multimedia

Also to troubleshooting such hang issue may need lowlevel debugging and may need create hang dump. If the issue is urgent, you may want to work with Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) for a faster resolution. Once you open a Support incident with Microsoft CSS, a dedicated Support Professional can work with you in a more efficient manner.

http://support.microsoft.com

Best regards,
    Peter Huang

Friday, May 5, 2006 5:47 AM
  • Hi Peter.

The app has run well for some time,  now it dies shortly after startup.

I've not changed any hardware or made any code changes that should matter to this.  The app still works fine if I start it from the start menu, it's only if it's started by the IStillImage stuff.

I'll try posting on usenet, thanks.

Actually, I went and searched that newsgroup, they appear to have never discussed IStillImage there.  Is there any other way to get my app to launch when a camera is connected ? I'm guessing not....

Monday, May 8, 2006 10:53 AM
  • Hi Christian,

I understand your scenario.
    But for your issues have out of the scope of this newsgroup.
    For the issue about the if the camera is connected, you may take a look at the link below.
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/MFC/Q_21805948.html

Based on my knowledge, for such issue about hardware, it is better to handle in the C++ code.

Best regards,
    Peter Huang

Tuesday, May 9, 2006 3:47 AM