none
Upgrading .Net 2.0 to 3.5 (Compatibility Issues) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am responsible for a college webserver (Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 with IIS 6.0 and .NET Framework 2.0) It hosts over 100 webstes on it.

There has been request for support .NET 3.5 for new websites. If we accept support for .NET 3.5 I will need to upgrade to .NET 3.5 and there starts my worries. How would it effect other websites running 1.1 and 2.0 versions of them on the server. In case of upgrade what should I do to maintain these sites working and if things go wrong s this upgrade operation reversible? I mean can I just uninstall .NET 3.5 and would everything go back to current state?

I have been looking up in google for a while I guess I have to test this out but I have no idea how can I test it? Do I need a new system setup of  MS Windows 2003 and move the sites and test them with . NET 3.5 Since there are so much sites and databases it seems even more frightful to do this. If I need  to test how would you suggest to test?

And finally is there a way I can get a list of which sites use which . NET ersion and which doesn't (There are also a lot just static html sites)

I know I asked a lot but I am really nervous about it if this upgrade would mess the server. And yes as you can understand from what I ask I am more of a rookie about these so the information I can get is very crucial for me.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:04 PM

Answers

• Fur a more detailed discussion of your concerns, please consider asking in the ASP.NET forums, here:

http://forums.asp.net/

However, from a .NET Framework perspective, adding .NET 3.5 support should not be a problem, as 3.5 is an extension of 2.0 and should not affect existing 2.0 apps. .NET 1.1 is a completely separate framework, and will be oblivious to 2.0/3.0/3.5.

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:12 AM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Thanks for your concern pvdg42. It seems I am gonna try my chance installing it, I am heading there now.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:46 AM

All replies

• Fur a more detailed discussion of your concerns, please consider asking in the ASP.NET forums, here:

http://forums.asp.net/

However, from a .NET Framework perspective, adding .NET 3.5 support should not be a problem, as 3.5 is an extension of 2.0 and should not affect existing 2.0 apps. .NET 1.1 is a completely separate framework, and will be oblivious to 2.0/3.0/3.5.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Thanks for your concern pvdg42. It seems I am gonna try my chance installing it, I am heading there now.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:46 AM