none
Outllook and WPF apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 
    I have two questions about using Outlook with Visual Studio. 

This is what I want to do with my application. 
    1 - display  in my application, Outlook functionality, eg display a Vcard in my application or save notes of a RichTextBox in my Outlook calendar, and retrieve and navigate using the Outlook calendar. 

2 - I tried to create an Add In for Outllook but my ribbon does not appear when I open MS Outlook. But I successfully create Add In that appear both in MS Word and MS Excel.

Thanks

Regards

• Edited by CPGTech Hub Monday, May 26, 2014 7:09 PM
    • Moved by Yang,Chenfei Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:48 AM Outlook Dev Issue
    Monday, May 26, 2014 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

1. You are free to display the Outlook info in your applications. To get this done you need to automate Outlook for getting the required info. See C# app automates Outlook (CSAutomateOutlook) . Note, you can't embed the Outlook window. It is not supported.

2. Is your add-in enabled and shown in the list of COM add-ins in Outlook?

By default, if an add-in attempts to manipulate the Microsoft Office user interface (UI) and fails, no error message is displayed. However, you can configure Microsoft Office applications to display messages for errors that relate to the UI. You can use these messages to help determine why a custom Ribbon does not appear, or why a Ribbon appears but no controls appear. You can read more about this in the How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors article in MSDN.

Also Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in when you try to debug it, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in. Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception. When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. Read more about this in the  How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:43 AM

All replies

• Ask here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlookdev

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:58 AM
  • Hello,

1. You are free to display the Outlook info in your applications. To get this done you need to automate Outlook for getting the required info. See C# app automates Outlook (CSAutomateOutlook) . Note, you can't embed the Outlook window. It is not supported.

2. Is your add-in enabled and shown in the list of COM add-ins in Outlook?

By default, if an add-in attempts to manipulate the Microsoft Office user interface (UI) and fails, no error message is displayed. However, you can configure Microsoft Office applications to display messages for errors that relate to the UI. You can use these messages to help determine why a custom Ribbon does not appear, or why a Ribbon appears but no controls appear. You can read more about this in the How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors article in MSDN.

Also Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in when you try to debug it, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in. Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception. When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. Read more about this in the  How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:43 AM