none
use a vba macro to modify a password protected pptm or ppsm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am stuck and requesting for help!

I have my pptm that is password protected but can open in read only.

I would like to modify some data through macros eg have a user input his/her

name into some variable in my macro using an InputBox and save the change.

Also need to change from kiosk to presenter mode, via vba, which am able to do when not having a password to modify.

I need a way to do this, since I find it a challenge. In excel  it is possible, why not in Powerpoint 13 also?

The code that a using 

Public strPw As String
               strPw = "test"
               ActivePresentation.WritePassword = strPw

Could some one help me perhaps with the right code to make modify by vba work in a password protected pptm presentation or in ppsm slideshow

Thanks in advance

Mbuvi

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

After some tests and researches, I think it is impossible to achieve your requirement. I test in Office 2007-2016, none of read-only files could be modified and then saved into a new file. That's why we would get an error when let the read-only file to do some changes via macro.

It works in Excel/Word because we could edit the read-only file and save it into a new one. Unfortunately, we could not do the same for PowerPoint.

To reproduce the issue, when saving the new file, Click Tools, and then click General Options and set the password to modify the document. We are unable to modify or save it as copy after re-opening it in read-only mode.

According to Password to modify a presentation is required when you open the presentation in PowerPoint, it writes: If a user modifies the document without using the password, that user can save the document only by giving it a different file name.

However, I test it in PowerPoint2007-2016, it does not work. Due to the limitation of community support channel, I suggest you submit a feedback on https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:38 AM