none
Using Kinect SDK on Boot Camp (iMac) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking of starting to work with the Kinect SDK and wondered about using it in Boot Camp. I've got an iMac and I'm sure it meets all the other requirements, but i'm not quite sure about the graphics card. I've got a Radeon HD2600 and according to my research that should support Direct X 10/10.1.

Does the card have to support specifically 9.0c? or should it be fine?

Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:56 PM

Answers

• We haven't specifically tested with that card for this release, but if the card supports DirectX10, then it should also work with 9.0.

We'd love to hear about your experience, though, so do let us know if you run into any problems.
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• We haven't specifically tested with that card for this release, but if the card supports DirectX10, then it should also work with 9.0.

We'd love to hear about your experience, though, so do let us know if you run into any problems.
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:40 PM
  • I tested the Kinect SDK in Boot Camp of iMac. I installed all the required packages, incluindg vc++2010, directX SDK and DirectX runtime.

The kinect itself is working as I can see the blinking green light but the sample "Skeletal Viewer" doesn't work.

It gives the error message "Could not create Direct3D surface. Please ensure the DirectX runtime is installed."

I also opend the .sln fifle and manually add the include and lib path of directX SDK and rebuilt the solution. No magic has happened.

Can anyone help ? 

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:24 PM
  • what is the video card? DO the DirectX 3D samples run?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:23 PM
  •  The graphics card is ATI Radeon HD5750

I use the DirectX Sample Viewer. It has a drop-downw list allowing me to choose from

Direct3D 9

Direct3D 10

Direct3D 11

Audio

Input

I tried some rendering samplers of Direct3D 9, 10, 11, where you can rotate an object and see how it looks. 

They all work.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Hueihan,

Try changing D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING to D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING in DrawDevice::CreateDevice in DrawDevice.cpp and let me know if this works for you. It might be that your video card doesn't support hardware vertex processing (I recently saw another forum thread where this stood out as a possible cause).

Sorry for delay in response,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Hi, Eddy

Thanks for replying.

I follow the thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/kinectsdk/thread/07bfb4c3-eb3a-4831-9199-bc50cc732bb8

and found that the program failed at line 97 of the file DrawDevice.cpp

hr = m_pD3D->CheckDeviceType(

D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,

D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,

mode.Format,

D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8,

TRUE

// windowed

);

if (FAILED(hr)) { goto done; } // This is line 97

D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,

is

D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8

is 22

mode.Format

is

D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8

hr is

it is D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE (0x8876086a)

right ?

Any idea I can solve the problem ?

Thanks!

Hueihan

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Hmm, try replacing D3DDEVTYPE_HAL with D3DDEVTYPE_REF and let me know how that goes.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:10 PM
  • I replaced D3DDEVTYPE_HAL with D3DDEVTYPE_REF for *both functions

m_pD3D->CheckDeviceType

m_pD3D->CreateDevice

and now it works I believe.

It is showing some skeleton, not sure if it is me in front of kinect or someone else ..

Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:45 PM
  • hm.. the center panel shows me my skeleton

but the left panel (depth) and the right panel (VGA) is just black.

Do I miss anything ?

ps: My kinect could show both depth and color when I tested with openkinect :)

Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Friday, August 19, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Could you try running the C# sample really quick (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Microsoft Research KinectSDK Samples\NUI\SkeletalViewer\CS) to make sure depth and VGA streams are shown correctly? This'll at least verify that the streams are coming correctly from Kinect device and that this is mostly a matter of problems with DirectX support in your system.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:18 AM
  • yes the C# version works. ....s
    Friday, August 19, 2011 3:17 PM
  • In that case it looks like this is an issue with DirectX support in your system. If you need to use C++, you should ask DirectX forums (http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/default.aspx?GroupID=7) for help about what to do when you can't create a device with D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, or maybe look into other rendering technologies that you can use from C++ code. We can't provide more support for this scenario in this forum. Sorry.

If you're ok using Managed Code, then it looks like WPF should work for you.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:04 PM