The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure App Service - Web Apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Uploading Images RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am used to running my own web server and am trying out Azure web apps.

I have set up an app, and via FTP I can see site/wwwroot folder.

I have some static images in a subfolder site/wwwroot/images for example headers.

What I want to do is to allow users to upload images (sort of content management). On my own web server, I would create a subfolder webupload, and my asp.net code would upload the user images into here. Therefore any images could be accessed by eg www.testsite/wepupload/image1.jpg

Do I do a similiar thing in Azure?  Or might there be some issues doing it this way. thanks.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:32 AM

Answers

• You can do it the same way but remember that storage space on Web App is limited. The better way to do this is to use Azure Blob Storage and .NET (or other) SDK.
    • Marked as answer by Venton Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:19 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:03 PM

All replies

• You can do it the same way but remember that storage space on Web App is limited. The better way to do this is to use Azure Blob Storage and .NET (or other) SDK.
    • Marked as answer by Venton Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:19 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Thanks I will look into Blob storage.

I presume for normal day to day static images (like header, home page static pictures), that people just upload these into a /images subfolder in the webapp - same as any normal hosting package?

But for larger stores of images, cheaper/better to use blob.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Blob is OK for any data - even CSS or JS. You can also combine it with CDN (almost out of the box).
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:15 PM