none
Change username on AAD (Azure only, no on-prem sync) - how long before Azure joined VM recognizes new username? RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I am running my own testing now, but I wanted to see if anyone knew how long it takes for username data to flow from Azure AD to an Azure-hosted, Azure AD domain-joined Windows VM.  I have an Azure AD user and I change the username from username@domain.com to username.test@domain.com.  There is no on-premises to speak of in my scenario - this is a totally new deployment set up 100% on Azure.

How long does it take before the VM will recognize the new username?  Does anyone have a reference to documentation for how this process works so that I can understand it completely and explain it to my clients?

Thanks,
    Phil

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• UPDATE: I determined that in most cases the new username is recognized on the Azure-joined VM within 5 minutes of changing the username.

I did note the following: the username might not be searchable right away.  For example, when I searched for username.test in the Windows Permissions dialog, the user could not be found.  However, when I used the full domain name username.test@domain.com it worked OK (see screenshots below)

Does anyone know how long we might expect to wait before updated usernames become searchable?

Thanks,
    Phil

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:17 PM
  • In AD Connect it takes up to 6 minutes for cloud credentials to be recognized on-premises so I assume the timeline would be similar elsewhere. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/how-to-connect-install-prerequisites

Generally object imports and exports in Azure can take 1-30 minutes depending on the number of objects that are added/changed at once. 

Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Let me know if this helps.
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:01 PM