none
UWP support for Coded UI Tests?

Question

• Hello,

does Visual Studio 2015 support Coded UI Tests for UWP apps?

Best regards
    Markus Demmler

Friday, January 29, 2016 3:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi MarkusDemmler,

Yes, Visual Studio 2015 support Coded UI Test for UWP apps. But it can't use the recorder to record for the UWP apps. Please create a Coded UI Test Project (Windows or Windows Phone) template and then please following below article's guidance, which introduce how to implement Coded UI Test step by step for Windows app.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn305948.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 01, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Hello,

So I know Visual Studio 2015 supports Coded UI Testing for UWP apps.

However, on Windows 10, half the things that used to work on Windows 8 (or 8.1) is not working anymore. For instance, i followed the link to the article. On the first step it shows an options screenshot that is not even close to my options window (wanted to post the screenshot but appearantly i can't because im not yet verified..). There is no way to put the AutomationID's (AID) on at the start of a project.

Is this because its enabled by default on Windows 10?
    If so, how come more then half of the XAML doesnt get an autogenerated AID?

Im also having a lott of trouble mapping controls to the right containers.
    I chnaged the CodedUITestBuilder.exe.config already to enable the Coded UI Test Builder to dig deeper into the hierarchy of the controls, although it states in the comment that it is a key added to support WPF. I guess it doesnt support UWP in any case.

If someone could give me any help in how to work around or to enable certain things to perform decent Coded UI Testing on an application, it would be welcome very much.

Im currently doing my thesis during my internship, and its all about Coded UI Testing an UWP application on Windows 10 platform.

Best Regards,

Jasper

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:33 AM
  • Update:

As far as the 'options' window problem. I have found it under a different tab.
    I guess it's enabled by default.

Although a lott of XAML elements have no Automation ID even when it is enabled..

Best Regards,

Jasper

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:59 AM