Microsoft.Windows.Simulator.exe - Changing screen orientation changes touchpad movement

Question

• I was referred to this forum from the Windows 8.1 general forum.

I am trying to debug an issue that's happening on touchscreen Windows 8 tablets on my development laptop, but when I open up the Windows tablet simulator and change the orientation, my laptop touch pad changes the way it moves. (For example, if I change to portrait, the cursor now moves up and down when I move left and right and up and down when I move left and right. (the x and y axis have been swapped).

While entertaining for a moment, this is making it impossible to work effectively.

This only happens on the touchpad (not when a mouse is plugged in).

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:45 PM

All replies

• What type of laptop and touchpad? I suspect your laptop has custom drivers which get confused by the remote login session. Does this repro if you turn off any extended touchpad features custom to your vendor?

--Rob

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:14 PM
    Owner
  • It's a Lenovo ThinkPad SL410 - I turned off all the touchpad features and I am still experiencing the same issue.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:36 PM
  • Make sure you are running the latest version of the touchpad Driver (probably the Synaptics UltraNav driver) http://support.lenovo.com/en_CA/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT063325

--Rob

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:57 PM
    Owner
  • Just updated the drivers to the latest available from Lenovo and it did not work.

I don't think it's a driver issue. I think by rotating the emulator, windows is getting the touchpad input confused with touch input and rotating the axis.

The laptop is a Lenovo SL410. My Synaptics driver is the latest available from Lenovo at 16.2.19.13 (9/26/2013).

Any ideas? Can you test this to see if it might be the same on other laptops? I only have this one Windows 8 machine to test with.

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:21 PM
  • It does not reproduce on devices I have tried it on, but my Lenovo is newer than yours and has a different touchpad.

Barring a driver fix, my best recommendation is to use a mouse when testing with rotation.

--Rob

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:37 PM
    Owner