none
Upgrade of WEBSERVER from W2K to W2K3 error RRS feed

• General discussion

• I tried to do an in place upgrade and recieved these conpatability concerns:

Alert number 1 I’m not concerned with. Details on this tells me that the teaming configuration will be blown away during the upgrade. This is not an issue. We’re not using teaming or the associated Compaq NIC drivers any more.

Alert number 2 is stating that IIS will be disabled during the upgrade, and will have to manually be brought back online after the upgrade completes. This in itself should not be a big deal, but there’s the chance, as with any O/S version upgrade, that the IIS configurations specific to our application will be damaged. This can be mitigated by exporting the IIS configurations prior to the upgrade to a safe off-machine location.

Alert number 3 is another legacy alert from the old physical box. As with alert number one, I’m not concerned. We’re not using that hardware any more.

Alert number 4 is not concerning either. Fax services are there? Great. Fax services will be destroyed? Great.

My biggest concern is when I click next what error I get:
    I starts the upgrade, then gives a upgrade failure dialog box without a specific error, just that the upgrade had fail and will exit. 

Is there anyway around not having to build out an entirely new build?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• I tried to do an in place upgrade and recieved these conpatability concerns:

Alert number 1 I’m not concerned with. Details on this tells me that the teaming configuration will be blown away during the upgrade. This is not an issue. We’re not using teaming or the associated Compaq NIC drivers any more.

Alert number 2 is stating that IIS will be disabled during the upgrade, and will have to manually be brought back online after the upgrade completes. This in itself should not be a big deal, but there’s the chance, as with any O/S version upgrade, that the IIS configurations specific to our application will be damaged. This can be mitigated by exporting the IIS configurations prior to the upgrade to a safe off-machine location.

Alert number 3 is another legacy alert from the old physical box. As with alert number one, I’m not concerned. We’re not using that hardware any more.

Alert number 4 is not concerning either. Fax services are there? Great. Fax services will be destroyed? Great.

My biggest concern is when I click next what error I get:
    I starts the upgrade, then gives a upgrade failure dialog box without a specific error, just that the upgrade had fail and will exit. 

Is there anyway around not having to build out an entirely new build?

Something else is there any upgrade logs that I can check to see exactly why the upgrade failed?  If so were are they located?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:37 PM