crystal accessing sql: provider not found RRS feed

• Question

• I have an embedded crystal report in a vb.net dll that accesses data in SQL server. (I'm not using a viewer, the report will either print to a printer or file). The report was created from within VS2005. I set the SQL logon parameters for the crystal report table(s) (just 1) before running the report, as demonstrated in the MSDN samples i.e.: LogonInfo.Connectioninfo = ..., ...ApplyLogOnInfo... . Everything works fine in the development environment.

I prepared a windows 2003 test server by loading .net framework 2 and crystal for .net 2005. When the dll runs on the test server it generates an error at the point where crystal accesses SQL server stating the provider is not found, perhaps it is not installed. Other applications on this test server access the same database successfully. Other crystal reports that do not access SQL server directly run successfully on this server.  

I decided to fool around with a less critical server to see what might be missing. This was a windows 2000 server, also with .net framework2 and crystal for .net 2005 loaded. Same error. I installed VS2005 on that server. The SQL crystal report runs successfully. It ran successfully outside visual studio 2005. It seems just having vs2005 installed on the machine makes the difference.

What's up?

Saturday, May 13, 2006 7:57 PM