locked
How to Attach Debugger to a Running Android or IOS app? RRS feed

  • Question

  • User277909 posted

    I often start an app just to see how it works, then I decide to debug, so I just attach to its process and debugging kicks in.

    But I am not able to find how to attach to a running Xamarin Forms app process to start debugging.

    To clarify, I know how to debug and that works fine but how do I attach debugger to a running Xamarin Forms app to debug?

    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 6:52 PM

All replies

  • User364658 posted

    I other words you want to see the debugging process in your Xamarin.Forms app or what? I didn't understand :neutral: ...

    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:08 PM
  • User180523 posted

    He wants to start an app on the tablet - then attach a debugger to it. Versus starting a debugging session through F5.

    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:55 AM
  • User277909 posted

    @ClintStLaurent said: He wants to start an app on the tablet - then attach a debugger to it. Versus starting a debugging session through F5.

    That's correct

    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:27 PM
  • User364855 posted

    @dinob

    I am afraid it is still not supported yet.

    Monday, August 27, 2018 8:52 AM
  • User367133 posted

    @BillyLiu said: @dinob

    I am afraid it is still not supported yet.

    Any lights on that? or in the Roadmap?

    Friday, November 30, 2018 4:09 PM
  • User267459 posted

    still no lights at the end of the roadmap?

    Friday, April 5, 2019 10:11 AM
  • User277909 posted

    @StefanMarek said: still no lights at the end of the roadmap?

    Nothing

    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:48 PM
  • User51603 posted

    Please support this for your future releases of VS for Mac.

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 1:52 PM
  • User89714 posted

    Does anybody know if XCode or AndroidStudio can do this? If they cannot, then I assume that iOS and Android do not support it, and so Visual Studio would not be able to either. On the other hand, if XCode and AndroidStudio can do it, it would be a very useful thing for Visual Studio to do.

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:05 PM
  • User180523 posted

    @OnurHazar said: Please support this for your future releases of VS for Mac.

    Putting this in a Q&A forum that basically isn't monitored by Microsoft is pointless. They don't use forum comments to drive development.

    Its a Visual Studio feature request. You need to use Visual Studio feedback to request it. If you don't use the right channels to put it into the right hands you're just pissing into the wind.

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:06 PM
  • User51603 posted

    @ClintStLaurent Thanks for the clarification, you are right. I just posted a feature suggestion into their developer community forum. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/41/visual-studio-for-mac.html?type=idea

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:23 PM
  • User393132 posted

    @JohnHardman said: Does anybody know if XCode or AndroidStudio can do this? If they cannot, then I assume that iOS and Android do not support it, and so Visual Studio would not be able to either. On the other hand, if XCode and AndroidStudio can do it, it would be a very useful thing for Visual Studio to do.

    Yes, Xcode and Android Studio have this option for native apps. If I try to attach a xamarin ipa xcode fails currently

    Thursday, August 6, 2020 4:31 PM