none
Using Custom ADO.NET Data Provider in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have a set of objects that aggregate, merge and calculate data from different data sources in real time that I want to make available to Excel so I can do some reporting and charts, etc. I wrote a .NET Data Provider by deriving from DbProviderFactory, DbDataAdapter, DbCommand, DbConnection, and DbDataReader. Tested in a test harness by calling DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("MydotNetProviderFactory") does exactly what I need it to do. I get the data I ask for, retrieved, merged and calculated in real time.

In machine.config, I added to the system.data node a DbProviderFactories node that describes the provider. I even used gacutil to put the assembly in the global assembly cache. But Excel still doesn't see my custom provider in any of the Get Data options. Surely this can be done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 22, 2019 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a answer maybe you can refer to:

How to create a data provider for use with Excel.

Regards,

Kyle

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 25, 2019 9:55 AM
  • Thank you, Kyle.

I previously used those particular resources in my initial research. The link to the MSDN article in the "answer" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301611.aspx) lands on an "Issues and Downloads" page, which probably speaks more to the coding of the ADO.NET solution, which I have already.

My current frustration is in the proper deployment and configuration steps that allows my custom ADO.NET data provider to be recognized by Excel's "Get Data" functions. Perhaps this isn't possible.

I have looked at creating an OLE DB provider, but the scarcity of working examples more recent than 2005 are practically nonexistent.

Agaim, thanks for your reply. I'll keep looking.

Monday, March 25, 2019 2:23 PM