Prevent Access to Alt-Tab Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how I can prevent access to the Alt-Tab menu when a specific form is in focus?
    Friday, January 19, 2007 1:18 PM

Answers

• My question to you is why are you wanting to do this? Generally it's bad user interface design to interfere with the normal operation of Windows. In cases where you need to lock the system down, such as in a point-of-sale system, this is best done through system policies on a per user basis, not by application code.

Of course, blocking normal Windows functions would make a good prank application.

Friday, January 19, 2007 2:28 PM
  • There are lots of ways other than Alt+Tab to switch away from your program and access the forbidden fruit.  The Windows key or Ctrl+Esc works, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Task Manager is the ultimate escape hatch.  You need to lock down the PC with a limited user account.
    Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:37 PM

All replies

• My question to you is why are you wanting to do this? Generally it's bad user interface design to interfere with the normal operation of Windows. In cases where you need to lock the system down, such as in a point-of-sale system, this is best done through system policies on a per user basis, not by application code.

Of course, blocking normal Windows functions would make a good prank application.

Friday, January 19, 2007 2:28 PM
  • The application is designed to have a mode where it can be left unattended and people (ie: not the owner of the computer, people who should not be allowed to access anything on the computer) can use the interface to perform certain tasks. While performing these tasks, the user should not be able to access anything else on the computer without entering a password (not the system password, a password set by the main user when entering this application mode).

My question to you (if you have an answer) is how can I block access to the Alt-Tab menu while in this particular Form?
    Saturday, January 20, 2007 4:04 PM
  • There are lots of ways other than Alt+Tab to switch away from your program and access the forbidden fruit.  The Windows key or Ctrl+Esc works, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Task Manager is the ultimate escape hatch.  You need to lock down the PC with a limited user account.
    Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:37 PM
  • As I said, this is something that you should do via system security policies on a user basis, not in your application code. You cannot properly secure an unattended system like you've described using application code.

Monday, January 22, 2007 3:11 PM