none
Where is System.Windows.Ink ? RRS feed

• Question

• I've heard lots of people talking about System.Windows.Ink namespace, seems like it's supported natively by windows and I don't have to use Tablet PC SDK anymore. But I cannot find that namespace in my Visual Studio 2008, when trying to add reference to a C# project, even if the project is set to use .NET framework 3.5 and VS2008 is run under Vista Ultimate, why?

I'm developing an application with handwriting recognition functionality ,and the targeted platform is Windows XP SP2. Do I have to install anything except Tablet PC SDK to enable Inking support in XP?

thank you.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:10 AM

Answers

• The types in S.W.Ink namespace are designed for ink support in WPF applications. If you are not writing a WPF app, then you most likely don't want/need to use anything from this namespace.

If you are building a WPF application, then the references and everything should already be set up correctly for you.

If you are building a Winforms application, then you should be using the Microsoft.Ink namespace (add reference to Microsoft.Ink.dll).

In the event that you do need to use types from S.W.Ink namespace in a non-WPF application, add references to PresentationCore, PresentationFramework and WindowsBase assemblies.

Thanks!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hello igame.

On a Tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, you do not need to install anything to get the tablet functionality to work. On a Windows XP computer, you must install the Tablet PC SDK for ink and recognition to work. This is allowable for developer purposes, not for redistribution.

With Windows Vista Home Premium and above, Tablet and Touch Technology is included with the operating system. An ink-enabled application will just work. Obviously, it will work better if an active digitizer is attached, but you could draw and  write with a mouse.

To use System.Windows.Ink in your application, you must add a reference to "Microsoft Tablet PC Ink Analysis WinFX Library," which is the IAWinFX assembly. I am pretty sure you also need to reference "Microsoft Tablet PC Ink Analysis Core Components," which is the IACore Assembly and which some functionality in IAWinFX is dependent on.

From the Tablet PC SDK (which has a discrepancy in naming the assembly, which I will fix right now):

To add a reference to the ink analysis API's in Visual Studio .NET

1. Open your Visual Studio .NET project.
    2. On the Project menu, click Add Reference.
    3. On the .NET tab in the Add Reference dialog box, on the components list, select Microsoft Tablet PC Ink Analysis Managed Library.
    4. Click Select, and then click OK.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Thanks,

Eliot - MSFT

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:56 PM
  • The types in S.W.Ink namespace are designed for ink support in WPF applications. If you are not writing a WPF app, then you most likely don't want/need to use anything from this namespace.

If you are building a WPF application, then the references and everything should already be set up correctly for you.

If you are building a Winforms application, then you should be using the Microsoft.Ink namespace (add reference to Microsoft.Ink.dll).

In the event that you do need to use types from S.W.Ink namespace in a non-WPF application, add references to PresentationCore, PresentationFramework and WindowsBase assemblies.

Thanks!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

Is System.Windows.Ink supported on XP SP2? The documentation ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.ink.strokecollection.aspx ) seems to suggest that it is only supported on Vista SKUs. We have plans to use the InkPresenter WPF control in our product which needs to run on XP SP2 (or 3).

Philipp Schmid

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:57 PM