none
Impersonate an account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, as you know I new in Exchange 2010, someone in the company asked me to impersonate an account in our exchange server. I was reading and I found this, not sure how this works, can you give me a hand?

1. Open the Exchange Management Shell.

2. Run the New-ManagementScope cmdlet to create a scope to which the impersonation role can be assigned. If an existing scope is available, you can skip this step. The following example shows how to create a management scope for a specific group.

3. Run the New-ManagementRoleAssignment cmdlet to add the permission to impersonate the members of the specified scope. The following example shows how to configure Exchange Impersonation to enable a service account to impersonate all users in a scope.

4. Copy 

New-ManagementScope –Name:scopeName –RecipientRestrictionFilter:recipientFilter

Copy 

New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Name:impersonationAssignmentName –Role:ApplicationImpersonation –User:serviceAccount –CustomRecipientWriteScope:scopeName

The RecipientRestrictionFilter parameter of the New-ManagementScope cmdlet defines the members of the scope. You can use properties of the Identity object to create the filter. The following example is a filter that restricts the result to a single user with the user name "john."

Manuel Arce Exchange 2010 Admin

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:11 PM

Answers

• Manny,

Since you are tasked with impersonating a single account, you will want to follow the second set of instructions. Manny, can you give us more specific background on your experience and exactly what you are trying to do? Provide specific questions about any part of documentation on how to setup impersonation in Exchange 2010 for a single user?

You should try the cmdlets using the WhatIf switch. That will tell you what would happen if you actually ran the cmdlet. See WhatIf, Confirm, and ValidateOnly Switches for more information.

With regards,

Michael | Microsoft Exchange SDK

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Manny Samtec Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:32 PM

All replies

• Manny,

Can you give us the exact steps you have tried and what results you got? Please share error codes if you encounter them. I think you are getting the information you posted from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204095(v=exchg.140).aspx.

With regards,

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:07 PM
  • I haven't try anything, I was sure if those are the correct steps. and yes that was the link I found, but I not quite sure how to apply it.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Manny,

Since you are tasked with impersonating a single account, you will want to follow the second set of instructions. Manny, can you give us more specific background on your experience and exactly what you are trying to do? Provide specific questions about any part of documentation on how to setup impersonation in Exchange 2010 for a single user?

You should try the cmdlets using the WhatIf switch. That will tell you what would happen if you actually ran the cmdlet. See WhatIf, Confirm, and ValidateOnly Switches for more information.

With regards,

• Marked as answer by Manny Samtec Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:32 PM
  • hey thank you, I spend sometime reading and I figured it out, I created the scope and then personate the user I wanted. thank you for you support.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:49 PM