Add menu item to Metro-UI "Device and printers" item

Question

• 1.            Under Windows 7 we are able to add new menu item to the device context menu in “Device and Printers” window.  

Is it possible in Win8 Metro UI ?(is has new Metro UI ”Device and Printers” window). If Yes, with help of what APIs it can be done?

• Edited by Gremory Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:21 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you talking about this menu?

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:55 PM
  • Yes, I want to add menu for some devices, for example "Canon inkjet i860" on your screenshot.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Hi Gremory,

That is an easy thing to do!  All you need to do is to install that device on your system.  Once you do that it will show up there.  Alternatively you can hit the 'Add a device' link in the control panel here.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Friday, December 9, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Thanks for reply, but my question not about adding device to "Device and printers". I want to add context menu or onclick action to some devices, which was already added to system(like printer on your screen). Can i do this this this Metro UI or some other API?
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:42 AM
  • Hi Gremory,

Did you try to add it the same way you did in Windows 7?  I am not familiar with that API set... What did you use?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Under Windows 7, I can add context menu item with standart Explorer API:IContextMenu.

Is some equivalent in Metro UI with help of which i can add context menu item to system Metro UI object?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Hi Gremory,

You can have context menus in your application.  From a Metro Style application you cannot make changes to the system objects.  You can change things like the Explorer shell from desktop applications.

For your application context menu, see this sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Context-menu-sample-40840351

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:38 PM