Windows Explorer Custom Context Menu to call a program and only displays when that programs is right clicked. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I would like to create two custom context menu items for a certain program that only show when that program's icon is right clicked in the Windows Explorer.  Can this be done?  I'm using Vista, but I also need this in WinXP.

I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this request, or not, but if isn't please tell me where this question should be posted.

Thank you

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:39 AM

All replies

• Yes, it can be done, well so far I have managed to add with text.
    I have not been able to find how to include icons yet.

But to add custom program. Example using Windows Media Player 11, opening a playlist:

START > RUN > REGEDIT > OK
    > COMPUTER > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    > DIRECTORY > BACKGROUND > SHELL

RIGHT CLICK SHELL
    > NEW
    > KEY [NAME]    -   this will be shown when right-clicked.

RIGHT CLICK [NAME]
    > NEW
    > KEY command
    DOUBLE CLICK (Default)
    > VALUE DATA wmplayer "C:\User\[NAME]\Music\Playlists\[PLAYLIST NAME].wpl"

CLOSE

Hope this helps!

Sorry, but I am still searching on how to add icons
    • Proposed as answer by StormGTR Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  When I tried this I found the [Name] item on all of my directories.  Unfortunately, this isn't what I was looking for.  The idea is that when I click on ProgramX.exe's Icon, I will see the custom context menu options there, but not on when any other directory or file's icon is right clicked.  I would hope that a short-cut to the file would also display the options.

An alternative would be to create a custom file extension, but this means that I'd have an empty file just to hang the options off off, which I don't really need or want.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:58 AM