Dynamic Image Viewer and Dynamic Colour Viewer added to the free Pixata Custom Controls for Lightswitch RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I've just released a new version of my control suite for Lightswitch, which includes two brand new controls, the Dynamic Image Viewer and the Dynamic Colour Viewer.

The purpose of these controls is to enable you to display icons on a Lightswitch screen with little or no code...

The Dynamic Image Viewer in a data grid

The Dynamic Colour Viewer serves a similar purpose, but allows you to display blocks of colour rather than images...

The Dynamic Image Viewer in a data grid

Documentation for both controls can be found on the new documentation section of my blog. Documentation for all of the controls can be found here, and you can download the controls from the Visual Studio Gallery.

Hope this is useful!

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

• Edited by Mr Yossu Monday, April 15, 2013 2:51 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:46 PM

All replies

• Should be fun!  I'll look forward to giving it a try!

Would someone please turn on the LIGHT?

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Did you get chance to try them? Please let me know how you get on.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

• Edited by Mr Yossu Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Wow, that is quite simple! 

So those who haven't tried it because it is too complicated... it isn't (as is most of Yossu's library... it just works).

For those who didn't get it (I didn't until I tried it), what Mr Yossu has here is this:

1. Add a calculated integer column property to your table.
    2. Make the result be any value 1-5 (see Here for more information, look at the section for StatusCode_Compute).
    3. Add your column property to a given screen such as into a grid.
    4. Change the default text box to be either Pixata Dynamic Colour Viewer or Pixata Dynamic Image Viewer.
    5. Choose the colors or images for up to 5 display options.
    6. Run!

• Edited by JoeB_LS103 Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I want to redo the documentation page for those controls. As I was writing it, I couldn't get a good description, and I kept looking at it, thinking it just wasn't clear. If you don't mind, I may use your short and simple explanation as a basis.

Thanks again.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:07 PM
  • No problem.  Gad to be of help!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:43 PM
  • 

This is Perfect, exactly what i was looking for.

There is a small issue with DIV as you can see below. Beside the picture, there is a piece of calculated result: green flag has 3, yellow has 2

Is there something I forgot to thick? The label is None.

If Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(ResultError) Then
                    If ResultError.Contains("Error") Then
                        result = 1
                    ElseIf ResultError.Contains("Warning") Then
                        result = 2
                    Else
                        result = 3
                    End If
                Else
                    result = 0
                End If

Thanks and Regards

emjot

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hello emjot,

No, it looks like you did everything correctly. I'm puzzled where those numbers have come from. It looks like the IDs themselves are being displayed next to the icons, which is a bit odd.

Any chance you could create a really simple sample project that demonstrates the problem and email it to me at mryossu at hotmail dot com and I'll have a look.

Thanks

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Yet another awesome addition to your control extension. I had quick play with it and have some feedback:

1)  I get the same issue as amjey above with the numbers appearing beneath the Colour Viewer. I think it relates to the width and horizontal alignment properties of the column. I will have to play with it again, but I was able to tweak it to not appear using those two properties.

2) You already know that 5 integers for each will not be enough, right? :) One option might be to expose properties/methods to add more via code should that be required?

Regards and Thanks

Xander

• Edited by novascape Friday, April 19, 2013 2:18 AM fixed typo
    Friday, April 19, 2013 2:17 AM
  • OK will do, but What I discovered is that this issue relates to the Shell and theme. I'm using VS2012 and default Cosmopolitan Shell and Theme. When I switch over to Standard Shell and Theme, the control displays properly.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hi Xander, thanks for the feedback.

I was wondering if 5 would be enough, and I just knew however many I added, someone would want more! I'll think about the best way to allow it.

See my comment to amjey below about the other issue.

Thanks again.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hello again,

Thanks for the extra info. I hadn't tried it with that combination (I don't use VS2012 much for LS as it's so much slower), so didn't notice the problem. I'll have a go and see if I can work out what it is.

Thanks again.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:45 PM
  • OK, something odd going on here. I just tried this in VS2012 with the cosmo shell and theme, and it worked fine. I fiddled with the width and alignment, but couldn't reproduce it.

Please could one of you create the smallest sample that reproduces the problem and email it to me at mryossu at hotmail dot com and I'll have a look.

Thanks

Monday, April 22, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hello,

If I use an image of 16x16 it start to show the value, if I try a bigger size (24x24) now the number is covered. You can still see the return value of 0 in both. (VS2012 V3)

Daniel

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:06 AM
  • Ah ha! Thanks for that, I managed to reproduce the problem, and have fixed it.

I'm still puzzled why it was happening though. For some reason, VS2012 displays a hidden control I have in there, even though the width and height are set to zero. VS2010 didn't show it at all. It's not the first time I've seen odd things happen with the Cosmopolitan theme. I wonder what they are doing in there!

Anyway, I found a way of making sure they stay hidden, even with the Cosmopolitan theme, so all should be OK now.

Thanks to everyone for the help in sorting this out. Please download the latest version and let me know if it works as expected.

• Edited by Mr Yossu Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

If I change the order of the column, the row with the value of 0 (no image), now have the image of the previous row. The pixata column is the same of "IsClosed"

Daniel

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reporting this. I can reproduce this, but have no explanation for what is happening. The underlying values are correct, but VS seems to be displaying the wrong images when you refresh.

This is going to take some digging around to see what's happening. Leave it with me, and I'll see what I can find.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:14 PM
  • OK, turned out to be easier than I thought. It seems that when you used zero as a return option (as opposed to using a value between 1 and 5 that you hadn't used for an option), Lightswitch was not setting the image at all, and so was just reusing the previous cell contents.

I've added some code to avoid this, and it seems to work correctly now. Please download the latest (version 1.31 as of right now) and make sure it works for you.

Thanks again for reporting this.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi Mr Yossu,<o:p></o:p>

It works perfect. I was using a column from an external table that returns 1 or 0 and setup the image #1 of the pixata image viewer.

Thanks for the nice add on.

Daniel

<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Excellent, glad I was able to help.

Thanks for the kind words as well :)

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:56 PM