Error while configuring BizTalk 2016 using SQL 2016 Availability Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are having an issue while configuring BizTalk 2016 on SQL 2016 using SQL Availability Groups. Basically we have 4 listeners having 4 static IP's that will contain the four BizTalk databases. While configuring BizTalk, we are using these 4 listeners.

When we try to configure BizTalk, the SSO is configured fine but not the Group and BizTalk Runtime. We are not trying to configure anything else.

The error that we get is something like below:

Info BtsCfg] Entering function: CWMI::CreateGroup
    Error BtsCfg] d:\bt\52584\private\source\setup\btscfg\btswmi.cpp(436): FAILED hr = 80004005

Error BtsCfg] Connection failure

We have checked all the permissions with the user trying to configure and looks fine. Have also check MSDTC configurations on both the BizTalk and SQL Server.

Does anyone have idea how the BizTalk configuration exe tries to find what features are already installed on the BizTalk server? I am suspecting that, it fails when it tries to find the features installed on the BizTalk machine.

Any info will be of really great help.

Regards

Biranchi

Friday, July 13, 2018 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I know it's too late to answer here but I just wanted to update how the problem got fixed.

1. Installing CU5 for BizTalk 2016 first and then configuring BizTalk 2016 worked like a charm.

2. But later on, I did some more tests and found that the actual issue was due to 'Audit event notification' being enabled on our SQL server where I tried to configure BizTalk. Removing the 'Audit event notification' from SQL server helped in configuring BizTalk.

Hope this helps, if someone faces an issue.

Regards

Biranchi

Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:01 PM

All replies

• Check this article: Configuring BizTalk 2016 in High Availability Config with SQL Server 2016 Always On
    https://pellitterisbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/category/biztalk/database-biztalk/

The configuration is not simple and you might end up with more issues than you solve

/Peter

Friday, July 13, 2018 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like the WMI Service is not configured properly as part of BizTalk Installation.

please follow below steps and Re-Configure the BizTalk Group and BizTalk Run-time.

1) Run the command prompt as admin.
    2) Run the commands: Regsvr32.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2016\Bin32\BTSWMIProvider.dll”
    3) Next, from the admin command promopt browse to C:\Windows\System32\wbem path and run the given commands:
    4) Mofcomp.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2016\Bin32\BTSWMISchema.mof”
    5) Mofcomp.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2016\Bin32\BTSWMISchema.mfl”
    6) Restart the WMI service.
    7) Done.  

HTH

Hope this Helps!!!! Regards, Note: Please Mark As Answered if you satisfy with Reply.

Friday, July 13, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Thank you Peter for your reply and sorry about the delay. You are quite right, it's a bit complex using AG with BizTalk 2016 setup.

We have tested it several times in our test environment and now when we try to configure it on our Live environment we see this issue. The logs from BizTalk configuration doesn't help much. In touch with Microsoft now about this issue.

Will update here with more progress.

Regards

Biranchi

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:23 AM
  • Hi Vikas,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will try the steps mentioned by you and update here if that helps.

If I repair BizTalk installation, do you think WMI Service will be fixed?

Regards

Biranchi

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:44 AM
  • I think yes you should try the repair. Also make sure you are running as Admin.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:48 PM
  • You will be much better off not using AOAG with BizTalk Server.

AOAG provides no incremental benefit to BizTalk but requires a notably more complicated SQL setup which means a recognizable net negative.

Stick with the proven, fully supported and much easier Failover Clustering, which you will still have to use for the MSS and AOAG itself.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 2:15 PM
  • Hi Vikas,

Tried fixing the WMI Service but that doesn't help.

I just want to make a note here, the server where I am trying to configure BizTalk is a fresh Windows Server 2016.

Regards

Biranchi

Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

I know it's too late to answer here but I just wanted to update how the problem got fixed.

1. Installing CU5 for BizTalk 2016 first and then configuring BizTalk 2016 worked like a charm.

2. But later on, I did some more tests and found that the actual issue was due to 'Audit event notification' being enabled on our SQL server where I tried to configure BizTalk. Removing the 'Audit event notification' from SQL server helped in configuring BizTalk.

Hope this helps, if someone faces an issue.

Regards

Biranchi

Thursday, March 7, 2019 12:01 PM