web.config does not update RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent a day and a half now trying to get a basic LS app working. It seems to work ok until I enable Forms authentication. Once I do that, I have to edit the web.config to point to my existing membership database (which is the same db as my app data). But changes I make to web.config do not get published and I get an error stating there is no connection string by that name. No matter how I edit the Web.config in the "Server" node of the project, the changes are not reflected in the published files.

I'm using VS2012. I tried 2013RC first but that was an even bigger disaster.

It doesn't seem to matter if my database is local or pointing to the SQL Azure instance that I ultimately want it connected to. It also doesn't matter if I debug locally or publish to an Azure website.

This is the only web.config file I see in my solution, what am I doing wrong?

Bob - www.crowcoder.com

Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:41 PM

Answers

• The web.config should be updated automatically when you publish based on what you supply in the Publish Wizard.  If the settings that you are supplying in the publish wizard are not being reflected in the published web.config, that's a problem, please let me know if this is the case.

PS - if you are changing settings in the server project's web.config that the publish wizard needs to set, those will be overridden in the published web.config.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, October 25, 2013 5:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:53 PM

All replies

• I think setting it to copy to output folder is all I needed.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Hi Molku

You can also take a look at this document to secure access to LightSwitch applications,

# Securing Access to LightSwitch Applications

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh456409.aspx

hope it helps,

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:53 AM
  • The web.config should be updated automatically when you publish based on what you supply in the Publish Wizard.  If the settings that you are supplying in the publish wizard are not being reflected in the published web.config, that's a problem, please let me know if this is the case.

PS - if you are changing settings in the server project's web.config that the publish wizard needs to set, those will be overridden in the published web.config.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, October 25, 2013 5:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:53 PM