.NET Framework bootstrap with application RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .NET WinForms application which needs to be run from CD. What I need to figure out is if user has required .NET version installed or install if necessary than run the application after installation. Any info I've found about bootstrapping involves setup and installation of the application. How can I do this if I don't install anything? I'd appeciate any info..
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:33 PM

Answers

• The application should tell you if .NET is installed or not when you try to run it.  If it's not installed, it'll let you know.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    • Marked as answer by Kira Qian Friday, February 6, 2009 2:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

If you are using Visual Studio and it's Setup Project, here are the following places where you can find "required to run application"-specific  .NET Framework settings:

- Right click your application project -> Properties -> Application -> Target Framework (The application will tell you if you dont have required .NET Framework).
    - Right click your setup project -> Properties -> Prerequisites (The installer will tell you if you dont have required .NET Framework).
    - Left click your setup project -> Click Launch Conditions Editor (button above Solution Explorer tree) -> Check the Version property of .NET Framework in Launch Conditions folder (The installer will tell you if you dont have required .NET Framework).
    Tomi Airaksinen - MCPD [Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question]
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:02 AM

All replies

• The application should tell you if .NET is installed or not when you try to run it.  If it's not installed, it'll let you know.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:52 PM
  • In Visual Studio 2008 using a Setup and Deployment Project:

Right click the setup and deployment project, go to properties.
    Select Prerequisites...
    Check ".NET Framework 3.5" or whatever version you need

It will create the necessary files in the same directory as the setup and if the computer doesn't have .NET it'll be installed.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

If you are using Visual Studio and it's Setup Project, here are the following places where you can find "required to run application"-specific  .NET Framework settings:

- Right click your application project -> Properties -> Application -> Target Framework (The application will tell you if you dont have required .NET Framework).
    - Right click your setup project -> Properties -> Prerequisites (The installer will tell you if you dont have required .NET Framework).
    - Left click your setup project -> Click Launch Conditions Editor (button above Solution Explorer tree) -> Check the Version property of .NET Framework in Launch Conditions folder (The installer will tell you if you dont have required .NET Framework).
    Tomi Airaksinen - MCPD [Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question]
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the all answers, I appreciate it. I realize I wasn't clear enough with my problem. The thing is, there's no setup in my application. The binary will run directly from cd, without installing. I need the autorun check for .NET Framework version, run .NET Framework setup if necessary, if its installed then run my application. I assume I'm not the first person who needs it but my searches didn't return anything, so I turned to you for help. I'd appreciate any help with this.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:21 PM
  • You can always write a little application that checks framework's existence on the computer and installs it from CD if needed. Then put this application's location in your CD's Autorun.inf before your real application.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:35 PM