TFS 2012/VS 2012 Code reviews diff tool RRS feed

• Question

• We've just starting using the built-in code review system with TFS2012/VS2012, and while it's a great tool we'd like to use a different diff tool.  The diff tool works great for everything but code reviews.  No matter what we do it uses the built in diff tool.

Anyone know of a way?

Christopher Cericola

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:33 PM

Answers

• Got confirmation from product team. The Code Review view doesn't support custom compare tool. This is because the code review comment will show in Code Review window.

regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your post!

Could you tell me what do you refer to the "diff tool"? Do you mean when you right click the file, and select Compare, then the diff tool appear?

If yes, I think the diff tool has no code revew capability. However, if you right click on a file in source control explorer and go to Annotate, you can use it to view file changes.

For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385979(v=vs.110).aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:19 AM
  • I'm talking about the Code Review feature of Visual Studio 2012/TFS 2012 where you request a code review, and another developer can leave comments.  When using this feature, it uses the built in diff-tool rather than the configured diff-tool.

Christopher Cericola

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your feedback!

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:17 AM
  • When you configure TFS to use different diff tool, you configure it through:

VS Tools menu > Options > Source Control > Visual Studio Team Foundation Server > Configure user Tools.

Do you configure that way?

thanks.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Yes, we've set it up properly.  When we merge code or compare two file histories, it uses the diff tool we chose but not for code reviews.

Christopher Cericola

Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I got to know what you mean. In Code reivew, the changed file show as link,  either directly click the link, or right click select Compare, it will use the built-in Diff Window.

I'll report this issue and gets you updated.

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Got confirmation from product team. The Code Review view doesn't support custom compare tool. This is because the code review comment will show in Code Review window.

regards,

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Is there any possibility of the following been changed? We also looking to use external diff compare tools for our code review process.
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Please allow developers to compare changed files in code reviews with whatever external compare tool they want (like you do within Visual Studio).  If people want to see the changes in an external tool, they should be allowed to (especially since it is allowed everywhere else).  and if people want to see in-line comments, or create them... they can use the current compare tool that is built into the code review process.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:30 PM
  •  We just looked at TFS 2013 to evaluate code review. Lack of support for custom compare tool is a deal breaker for us, because standard one in VS suck and we are using 3rd part that infinitively better.

I'm puzzled why code review does not honor same custom tool settings as all other places in VS TFS.

On another hand, just tried to customize Code Review work item type, so I'm not puzzled that much. It looks like who ever wrote Code Review part decided he dose not need to follow same model as the rest of TFS Team. Frankly, he should be fired.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:59 PM
  • I just want to add my complaint.

Your eyes get used to the diff tool that you are using everywhere else ... when the Visual Studio tool comes up instead ... it makes it hard to review changes.

I sure hope this is taken care of in a future release.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Ditto.  The one that comes with Visual studio sucks.
    Friday, August 14, 2015 3:52 PM
  • I agree that other comparison tools such as BeyondCompare are better than the Visual Studio comparison tool. However, it is easy to imagine why it would be hard to intergrate a 3rd party tool into the Code Review task. Code Review allows you to annotate the code-under-review in the context of the comparison.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:11 PM