none
Controls missing from all Forms except About and Splash Forms. RRS feed

• Question

• Total of 39 Forms.  No Small Project.

The designer.vb File and the .resx File and the .vb File are intact.  Right Click on the .vb File will allow selection of the View Code and the View Designer.  The View Code displays the Code Window and the Code is there.  But, the View Designer displays a completely Blank Form.

It seems there is a link missing somewhere.  Does anyone have ideas to share about the?

Regards, Graham VB Developer

• Edited by GrahamI Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

Not sure if this is what you mean, but, on my setup, since about the last couple of VS updates, I often have something similar.

In the Designer, the Properties pane is empty and the Toolbox is not available. What I need to do when this happens is to click on the Form in the Designer and then open the Toolbox and all is well from then on for the session.

A bit of a pain, but only a couple of clicks to fix.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:56 AM
  • The View Code displays the Code Window and the Codeis there.  But, the View Designer displays a completely Blank Form.

Compare the designer files for a form that has the controls with one that doesn't.   Or, create a new form and place the controls, then compare that form's designer file. You can see the pattern that the designer file follows, and it should be possible to pick up what's happened.  Be very careful about making changes, and always keep a backup.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:10 AM
  • Thanks Les.

I tried that and a soon as I opened the Toolbox the Form changed to the design mode but the Controls were not Visible, but the Properties were visible.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:24 AM
  • Hi

With so many Forms, there must have been normal operation for most of the time. I assume that something has happened recently to cause the issue you are having.

Does your description apply to ALL of the Forms or just one.

If only one, is it the most recent one and did it have many controls on it?

Can you add controls to the 'blank' Form in the designer?

If you can add controls, do they remain intact after close project / restart project?

Not that I have ever had the issue where a problem of the type you describe, but any time I have had Designer issues, there is a pane describing possible issues in place of the Designer display, such as:

The class Form11 can be designed, but is not the first class in the file. Visual Studio requires that designers use the first class in the file. Move the class code so that it is the first class in the file and try loading the designer again.

Is your code arrange such that the (say) Class Form1 is the first one for the Form. (where Form1 substitute the Form name you are having issues with.)

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, this has been running and I am in the process of upgrading from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2013.

I have made some changes to the Database and the App in now using an Access DB instead of SQL Server.  This is because it will be easier to maintain remotely.

The issues apply to ALL forms excepting the 2 I mentioned.

• Edited by GrahamI Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Hi

Have you checked the points raised by Acamar?

Please answer all the questions I asked in my last post.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I didn't have any success with Acamar's solution.

I'm going through the Class suggestions you made.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:04 AM
  • I tried that and a soon as I opened the Toolbox the Form changed to the design mode but the Controls were not Visible, but the Properties were visible.

Do you mean that the properties for the controls were accessible?  If so, that suggests that they are there but located off the form.  Check the location properties for the controls.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:32 AM
  • That's a good suggestion.  However, when the form is displayed the only Property in the Properties Box is the Form Properties.  The dropdown list that should show all the controls contains none of the controls.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:48 AM
  • I'm not having much luck with my dilemma.

Clearly, it is something I have done in the upgrade process.

I'm going to bite the bullet on this and start again from my Backups.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Hi

If you have the properties window, then does the drop down at the top of the properties window list all the controls you have on the Form?

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:40 PM
  • I'm afraid not in the Drop Down.

But the Controls are listed in the Project window.

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you.  It's about 7:54 AM AEDT in Sydney Australia and I'm just up for the day.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Hi

Well, good luck on the restore from backup :)

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:01 PM
  • It will still take some time to bring it up to date.  But, it seems to be the only way.

I have the thought that this whole problem revolves around the changes I've made with the Database connection.  Because, the only 2 forms not affected, have no Data Controls on them.  All other forma have a Data Controls.  So,  I'm going to follow that through first.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:16 PM
  • Hello Graham,

In regards to forms that are not shown correctly, when you indicated they have data controls, where they done with TableAdapter/DataSet/BindingSource components generated by Visual Studio? 

If this is the case and I remember correctly there were changes between VS2010 and later versions of Visual Studio which may be causing the issue.

You might try creating a new Visual Studio solution then in that solution folder from Windows Explorer, copy your good (from backup) into the solution folder. Next try and add into the new solution the first (main) project which I might assume has 'data controls' on it. See if this has the same issue which it may or may not present the same problem.

With that said, and thinking you tried all the prior suggestions your only recourse is to stay with VS2010 or do an overhaul of those project (which I'm guessing is not easy with so many forms).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:51 PM
  • Hello Karen,

Thank you very much for your input here.  It seems that my suspicions were well founded.

I'll go and try this with a small form with little controls and see the result.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 12:00 AM
  • Hello Karen,

Fwew...

Well, I'm back to almost Square 1. 

I have my Forms now, with their controls.  Whoopee Doh

Now, with "ALL Care and NO Responsibility", would you be so kind as to tell me if my idea is correct please?

I should delete all Data Controls and Re-Add the Data Controls accessing the new Database?

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hi Grahaml,

According to your last post, do you have your control in your forms now?

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 13, 2017 8:19 AM
  • Graham,

You know the Document View windows. It often shows direct what is wrong with this kind of problems. 

View -> other Windows -> Document View

Success
    Cor

Friday, October 13, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Cor,

I don't have a Document View window.
    Do you mean:-
    View -> Other Windows -> Document Outline

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:46 PM
  • Hi

Using the Document Outline can be useful in locating controls which have been 'lost' - maybe location is 'way off' Form bounds. Selecting a control in that view brings up the control Properties which can then be adjusted if needed.

That is probably the view Cor was referring to.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:01 AM