SignalR on Azure Sql database RRS feed

• Question

• User-2032499593 posted

Hi,

We are developing a web app on this tech stack: .Net Core 1.0, Asp.Net MVC 6, Entity Framework Core 1.0.0, Azure Sql database. It is a dashboard application and needs real time updates when there is any data upload or DML on Azure Sql database. We started considering SignalR but got conflicting reports on compatibility of SignalR with Azure Sql and .Net Core 1.0.

Is SignalR supported on Azure Sql database and .Net Core 1.0

We can compromise downgrading .Net version if required but Azure Sql database is something mandatory.

Thanks

Monday, October 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Answers

• User283571144 posted

Hi Amshu,

If Sql Server 2014/2016 is setup on Azure VM instead of using Azure Sql, is it possible to use SignalR. Please let me know.

As my posted article says:

In this tutorial, you will use SQL Server to distribute messages across a SignalR application that is deployed in two separate IIS instances.

You can also run this tutorial on a single test machine, but to get the full effect, you need to deploy the SignalR application to two or more servers.

You must also install SQL Server on one of the servers, or on a separate dedicated server. Another option is to run the tutorial using VMs on Azure.

So you could use Sql Server 2014/2016 is setup on Azure VM instead of using Azure Sql, I think it will work well.

Best Regards,

Brando

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 7:50 AM

All replies

• User283571144 posted

Hi Amshu,

Is SignalR supported on Azure Sql database and .Net Core 1.0

As far as I know, SignalR isn't supported on Azure Sql database and .Net Core 1.0.

From ASP.NET Core Schedule and Roadmap on GitHub:

•WebSockets
    •SignalR
    •Razor Pages (Views without MVC controllers)
    •Web API security

Link:https://github.com/aspnet/Home/wiki/Roadmap

Form MSDN article:

Prerequisites

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or later. The backplane supports both desktop and server editions of SQL Server. It does not support SQL Server Compact Edition or Azure SQL Database. (If your application is hosted on Azure, consider the Service Bus backplane instead.)

Link:https://www.asp.net/signalr/overview/performance/scaleout-with-sql-server

Best Regards,

Brando

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:29 AM
  • User-2032499593 posted

Thanks Brando.

I can sacrifice .Net Core and downgrade to 4.6.1 or earlier.

If Sql Server 2014/2016 is setup on Azure VM instead of using Azure Sql, is it possible to use SignalR. Please let me know.

Thanks

Friday, October 14, 2016 12:48 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi Amshu,

As my posted article says:

In this tutorial, you will use SQL Server to distribute messages across a SignalR application that is deployed in two separate IIS instances.

You can also run this tutorial on a single test machine, but to get the full effect, you need to deploy the SignalR application to two or more servers.

You must also install SQL Server on one of the servers, or on a separate dedicated server. Another option is to run the tutorial using VMs on Azure.

So you could use Sql Server 2014/2016 is setup on Azure VM instead of using Azure Sql, I think it will work well.

Best Regards,

Brando

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 7:50 AM