none
Public Meeting with Personal Account Notification RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to write a tool that will simply create an appointment (as a meeting) on a public calendar with both the individual scheduling the appointment and his/her manager as an attendee.  I hope to have a single appointment that shows up in the two personal calendars as well as the public calendar.  I am able to get the appointment on the public calendar accomplished using:

Dim objPAppoint As Outlook.AppointmentItem = CType(oooCalendar.Items.Add(), Outlook.AppointmentItem)

As well as the private appointment created using:

Dim objAppoint As Outlook.AppointmentItem = obOutlook.CreateItem(Outlook.OlItemType.olAppointmentItem)

Assigning the details of the appointment work for either of these AppointmentItems and sending the appointment works from the private appointment creation.  However, I really would like to be able to create the appointment on the public calendar and then generate the meeting request.  I have successfully gotten the user account using:

Dim oAccount As Outlook.Account = Nothing
            For Each oAccount In obOutlook.Session.Accounts
                 If oAccount.SmtpAddress = employeeEmail Then Exit For
            Next
    	If IsNothing(oAccount) Then
               	MsgBox("Error mapping account. Please contact xxxx for assistance.")
            	Exit Sub
            Else
            	.SendUsingAccount = oAccount
            End If

I have toyed with using the SendUsingAccount property of the AppointmentItem as shown above to use the publicly created appointment with both creator and supervisor as attendees but received an error message stating that I did not have permission to perform the operation.

I have also tried creating a private appointment so that I can send the notification and then generating a duplicate appointment that gets saved to the public calendar but neither of these methods have achieved what I am shooting for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:38 AM

Answers

• Sending meeting requests and tallying responses and so on can only be done from your default calendar folder in your own mailbox. It cannot be done in a public folder calendar folder. You will need to use a workaround of some sort.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "MikeKLH" <=?utf-8?B?TWlrZUtMSA==?=> wrote in message news:e7b378dc-27c2-43e7-b4a5-019b58d2f9c5...

I am trying to write a tool that will simply create an appointment (as a meeting) on a public calendar with both the individual scheduling the appointment and his/her manager as an attendee.  I hope to have a single appointment that shows up in the two personal calendars as well as the public calendar.  I am able to get the appointment on the public calendar accomplished using:

Dim objPAppoint As Outlook.AppointmentItem = CType(oooCalendar.Items.Add(), Outlook.AppointmentItem)

As well as the private appointment created using:

Dim objAppoint As Outlook.AppointmentItem = obOutlook.CreateItem(Outlook.OlItemType.olAppointmentItem)

Assigning the details of the appointment work for either of these AppointmentItems and sending the appointment works from the private appointment creation.  However, I really would like to be able to create the appointment on the public calendar and then generate the meeting request.  I have successfully gotten the user account using:

Dim oAccount As Outlook.Account = Nothing
            For Each oAccount In obOutlook.Session.Accounts
                 If oAccount.SmtpAddress = employeeEmail Then Exit For
            Next
    	If IsNothing(oAccount) Then

MsgBox("Error mapping account. Please contact xxxx for assistance.")
            	Exit Sub
            Else
            	.SendUsingAccount = oAccount
            End If

I have toyed with using the SendUsingAccount property of the AppointmentItem as shown above to use the publicly created appointment with both creator and supervisor as attendees but received an error message stating that I did not have permission to perform the operation.

I have also tried creating a private appointment so that I can send the notification and then generating a duplicate appointment that gets saved to the public calendar but neither of these methods have achieved what I am shooting for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:43 PM