Displaying Active directory user's information RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello evryone, I'm new to this forum and i'm looking for some help.
    I'm creating a code in C# that will look for a user in active directory and when run, it will display all the user's info. i.e. Department, display name, company, title, etc.

i've been working in the code for a couple of days and i'm able to make the connection to AD and to verify that the user exists, but i really don't know how to display the user's information.

Can you please help me? i need to finish this code today.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Moises
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• mabby216,

Please try the following code snippet converted from here and change the necessary information according to your project:

Code Snippet

public void GetADUserInfo()

{

try {

//This is a generic LDAP call, it would do a DNS lookup to find a DC in your AD site, scales better

DirectoryEntry enTry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://OU=MyUsers,DC=Steve,DC=Schofield,DC=com");

DirectorySearcher mySearcher = new DirectorySearcher(enTry);

mySearcher.Filter = "(&(objectClass=user)(anr=smith))";

SearchResult resEnt;

try {

foreach ( resEnt in mySearcher.FindAll()) {

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("cn").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("distinguishedName").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("name").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("givenName").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("displayName").Value);

}

}

catch (Exception f) {

Console.WriteLine(f.Message);

}

}

catch (Exception f) {

}

}

Actually there are many similar examples such as the article How to get domain user information from Active Directory in C# and the thread Getting Info From LDAP

Hope that helps.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:17 AM

All replies

• Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for your info. But i'm still looking for a more specific way to display the user's information.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 6:16 PM
  • mabby216,

Please try the following code snippet converted from here and change the necessary information according to your project:

Code Snippet

public void GetADUserInfo()

{

try {

//This is a generic LDAP call, it would do a DNS lookup to find a DC in your AD site, scales better

DirectoryEntry enTry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://OU=MyUsers,DC=Steve,DC=Schofield,DC=com");

DirectorySearcher mySearcher = new DirectorySearcher(enTry);

mySearcher.Filter = "(&(objectClass=user)(anr=smith))";

SearchResult resEnt;

try {

foreach ( resEnt in mySearcher.FindAll()) {

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("cn").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("distinguishedName").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("name").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("givenName").Value);

Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry.Properties.Item("displayName").Value);

}

}

catch (Exception f) {

}

}

catch (Exception f) {

}

}

Actually there are many similar examples such as the article How to get domain user information from Active Directory in C# and the thread Getting Info From LDAP

Hope that helps.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Hello,

As most of the examples contain more than is needed and even some site dependant values here is my contribution for bit simpler data querying from your LDAP server.

using System;
    using System.Text;
    using System.DirectoryServices; // You need to add this as reference in the project

namespace GetADInfo
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                // Get the currently logged in user
                string name = Environment.UserName;
                // Get the currently connected LDAP context 
                DirectoryEntry entry1 = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://RootDSE");
                string domainContext = entry1.Properties["defaultNamingContext"].Value as string;
                // Use the default naming context as the connected context may not work for searches
                DirectoryEntry entry = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://" + domainContext);
                DirectorySearcher adSearch = new DirectorySearcher(entry);

adSearch.Filter = "(&(objectClass=user)(anr="+name+"))";

// Go through all entries from the active directory.
                foreach (SearchResult singleADUser in adSearch.FindAll())
                {
                    Console.WriteLine("The properties of the " + singleADUser.GetDirectoryEntry().Name +" are :");
                    // Go through all the values found in the search
                    foreach (string singleAttribute in ((ResultPropertyCollection)singleADUser.Properties).PropertyNames)
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine(singleAttribute + " = ");
                        foreach (Object singleValue in ((ResultPropertyCollection)singleADUser.Properties)[singleAttribute])
                        {
                            Console.WriteLine("\t" + singleValue);
                        }
                    }
                }
            }      
        }
    }

If you wish to search for any other user than the one currently logged in, add method to input other name.

Best Regards,

Petteri Kujala

• Proposed as answer by Petteri Kujala Friday, August 9, 2013 11:20 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 10:56 AM