none
Visual Studio 2013 connectivity issues

Question

• I see after doing a packet capture that VS 2013 is using TLS 1.0.  I've disabled TLS 1.0 and SSL on my TFS 2015 server for security reasons.  How can I change VS 2013 to use TLS 1.1 or 1.2?
    Friday, September 9, 2016 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Specter01101,

Your issue is more related to Visual Studio. I help you move this case to Visual Studio General forum for dedicated help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 12, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Hi Specter01101,

As far as I know, we could change it under the Internet Explorer.

Reset to the default protocol option after you diagnose the issue. To do this, following these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer, Click "Internet Options", and then click "Advanced."

2. Under Settings, check "Use TLS 1.0", "Use TLS 1.1" and "Use TLS 1.2."

Reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt604698.aspx

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Thanks Jack,

As you know VS2013 and VS2015 can be installed on the same PC together.  I've looked in IE and the settings are correct as you show above but VS2013 still wont connect and 2015 will.  This is all on the same PC and I have multiple users with this issue.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:48 PM
  • Hi Specter01101,

Do you mean that just the machines which installed two VS versions have this issue? I mean that whether it still has this issue if you just test it in one machine which has the VS2013?

Like the document and a thread here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt604698.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31571224/visual-studio-2015-cant-sign-in-use-nuget-etc-behind-corporate-proxy

It seems that the real reason is that the VS2015 RTM version uses the TLS 1.2.

The reason Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015 RC can connect when Visual Studio 2015 RTM cannot is that the two use TLS 1.0 to make the connections by default, while Visual Studio 2015 RTM uses TLS 1.2. Visual Studio incrementally falls back to older protocols (TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.0) to try to connect. But the problematic security appliances reset the connection after you try to connect by using TLS 1.2, which drops the connection completely. As a result, Visual Studio cannot try the other protocols to connect.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Jack,

Thanks again for the support.  The problem occurs whether they are installed together or not on the same PC.  We do not have any security or proxy appliance on our internal network, VS is directly connecting to the TFS 2015 server.  From the packet captures I take, VS 2013 is using TLS 1.0 and never negotiates up to 1.1 or 1.2 where VS 2015 will start with 1.2 and work down.  On the TFS server we disabled TSL 1.0 but when you re-enable TLS 1.0 on that server VS 2013 and 2010 will connect without issues.  We disable TLS in the registry.

The articles listed above all deal with a security appliance in the middle or a proxy server OR VS connecting through a FW, our issues are internal only and the issues appear as if VS 2013 and down don't know how to use TLS 1.1+ from my packet captures.

I hope this helps to clarify the issues were having.

Thank you again!

Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:48 PM
  • Hi Specter01101,

Maybe you could share us more detailed information about this issue, how did you use the TLS in your side? I know that when using System.Net.WebRequest in an application will negotiate with the server to determine the highest TLS version that both the application and the server support, and use this.

But as you said that you use the TFS, if so, do you use the VS to develop an app? How did you really run it in your side? How did you use the TFS in your side?

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, September 19, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Jack,

Our TFS server is running in Server 2012 R2 fully patched.  Both application and database componentslive on that server.  TFS 2015 is setup without a reporting server and no analytics, just as a TFS server.  We have that server running on our main subnet, out network is relatively small so only one subnet is needed or used at this time.  There are no VLANS and no router since all computers are on the same subnet.  Using the registry I disabled TLS 1.0 and SSL 2.0 & 3.0 as they are not secure.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/187498

We have development machines that sit on the same subnet and were not able to connect to the new TFS server using older versions of VS 2013 and down.  You can get the web interface but when you try to add the new TFS server in VS 2013 or down it errors out and wont connect.  All of the dev users that have VS 2015 were able to add the new TFS server and using wireshark I see VS 2013 and down trying to negotiate using TSL 1.0, I dont see if trying anything else.

Since you can install VS 2013 and 2015 on the same PC I've tested to make sure it's not a PC issue and since 2015 can connect but 2013 cant, it comes down to how VS is setup to use TLS and the connection process.  I was hoping that there was a setting in VS2013 that would tell it to use TLS 1.1 or 1.2 but cant find any info on that.

Hope that helps,

Monday, September 19, 2016 6:17 PM
  • Hi Specter01101,

As far as I know, no settings for TLS in the VS IDE, without the TFS, if we just use the VS in the client machine, just the IE is the tool which could change it, if you use the high TFS version which has a limitation with the old VS2013, one possible reason is that the high TFS version really has a requirement.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:51 AM