Help Design/Behaviour

Question

• Hello,

Can someone please describe how Help will behave in (and how it is designed for) the Metro UI?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find a more appropriate section for this question. If this is the wrong area, please let me know.

Paul

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hello, we have authored guidelines for modern application help in the Dev Center documentation.

Overview: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465043(v=VS.85).aspx.

UX guidelines: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465049(v=VS.85).aspx.

Please do let us know if you find any errors in the documentation, or if anything is unclear. Here is an excerpt from the documentation, which I think provides a good overview of how application help work:

You should include app help when you need to explain how to use your application to users. Application help is a single page help file that you hook up to the Settings charm as a Help link.

Help content should be a single page and can include text, links, and images. To provide the most current content, you should include a link to your support or home page or either embed an online page into your help page.

Before including Help content for your app, you should consider whether your app actually needs it. For example, if your app has proven to be easy to use, you might decide that Help content isn't necessary. If there are one or two UI elements in your app that are a bit tricky for users to understand, try integrating tips into the UI, creating a simple in-app demo, or redesigning those elements to avoid creating help that only addresses one or two simple fixes.

-Jenn

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hello, we have authored guidelines for modern application help in the Dev Center documentation.

Overview: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465043(v=VS.85).aspx.

UX guidelines: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465049(v=VS.85).aspx.

Please do let us know if you find any errors in the documentation, or if anything is unclear. Here is an excerpt from the documentation, which I think provides a good overview of how application help work:

You should include app help when you need to explain how to use your application to users. Application help is a single page help file that you hook up to the Settings charm as a Help link.

Help content should be a single page and can include text, links, and images. To provide the most current content, you should include a link to your support or home page or either embed an online page into your help page.

Before including Help content for your app, you should consider whether your app actually needs it. For example, if your app has proven to be easy to use, you might decide that Help content isn't necessary. If there are one or two UI elements in your app that are a bit tricky for users to understand, try integrating tips into the UI, creating a simple in-app demo, or redesigning those elements to avoid creating help that only addresses one or two simple fixes.

-Jenn

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Thank you.

Are there any examples of Help available for MS-type apps? It would be helpful to see an image.

Paul

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hi Paul,

The "Treehouse Stampeded" game has help.  Hit Windows Key+C and go to settings to see it!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Thank you.

Are there any examples of Help available for MS-type apps? It would be helpful to see an image.

Paul

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree that it would be a good idea for the documentation to include sample images that show what help in the Settings charm might look like. I will provide this feedback to our writers and try to get this incorporated into the help documentation soon.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:55 PM