none
Trouble opening .xlsm files in Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems opening up .xlsm files in Excel 2010 32-bit version on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system.

When I try to open a .xlsm file, I receive the error, "There was a problem sending the command to the program."

After the error occurs, I can close the error, keep excel open, and open the file with no errors.  Also, when I right click and select "open with" and select excel, it opens the first try.  The issue is only when I try to open the file for the first time when excel is closed.

I have tried all the steps in this article and none of them were successful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3001579

If you need more info, let me know.

UPDATE:

I have tried to install Office 2013 to the computer and that works, however when I open the file it opens a blank window of excel as well as the file itself without the error.

I would still like to try and fix the original issue if at all possible however.

• Edited by CT0987 Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hello:

I reviewed the knowledge base article you quoted.  If you tried everything, then I found another interesting "solution" to the issue (I'm not sure why this interface won't let me insert a hyperlink... it just ignores it).

http://www.askvg.com/fix-there-was-a-problem-sending-the-command-to-the-program-error-message-in-windows/

Their "solution" was that the error occurs because of DDE, so just ignore it and it will work the second time... basically what you indicated.  Maybe this is one of the issues that is related to other software or settings on your system.

It's good that you have a workaround.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:39 AM
  • Hi CT0987,

I would like to know the details:

1. Does it have the macro in that file?
    2. What’s the result if you open the new excel file (.xlsx) and macro-enabled excel files?
    3. Does it have the same issue in other environment?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:43 AM
  • The macro's are in the file.  

With any macro-enabled excel file I have tried to open, it still gives the same error.

This is the only computer that has this issue.  I have other computers that do not give this error.

(Please see updates above)

Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:55 PM
  • Unfortunately none of those solutions fixed my issue.

(Please see updates above).

Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:56 PM
  • Hi CT0987,

Do you mean the macro-enabled excel file without macro in it still has the issue too?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:14 AM
  • All of the macro enabled files have macro's inside them and they all still do not work properly.
    Friday, June 26, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Hi CT0987,

Do you try to repair office?

Regards

Starain

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:27 AM
  • Yes, I did and that also did not work as well as trying to do a complete reinstall which did not work either.  Because of that, I think the problem lies within the OS or the hardware and not an Excel setting.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:19 PM