none
WCF: Deal with SSPI exception without set a dummy identity RRS feed

• Question

• i have the problem that changing the identity under which the WCF service runs on the server side affects my client authentication. I use the default security settings on client and server, so i think the securitymode is transport. And after changing der domainuser which runs my wcf service it looks like the client need a other binding configuration. I become got the following exception when im trying to call the service.

System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The target principal name is incorrect

BTW: I know that adding a identity tag on the client will solve my problem. But i am not able to do this. I have no access to all clients.

Have anybody an idea? How it´s possible to change the service user without affects for the client.

Thanks Sascha

Friday, December 22, 2017 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Sascha,

>> Have anybody an idea? How it´s possible to change the service user without affects for the client.

I am afraid it is impossible without changing Client side.

After checking the depth description from link below, you will find no matter what you changed in service side, you also need to change client configuration.

# WCF on intranet with windows authentication: Kerberos or NTLM (Part 1)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tiche/2011/07/12/wcf-on-intranet-with-windows-authentication-kerberos-or-ntlm-part-1/

In my option, I would suggest you guide the client to add the right identity tag.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 25, 2017 2:42 AM