RAS Connection Timeout... WHAT Registry key RRS feed

• Question

• Using Ras Dialer and RasBook I can start a GPRS connection.
    Assume that the device can't connect to the GSM network.

The RasDialer goes through the sequence Open Port, Dialing, Authentication but as expected it never connects. Are there any parameters for PPP or Ras to give up?

I have the dialer dialog up and it won't disconnect until I manually cancel the connection.

My goal is to do this programatically and prefer no to abort the connection using Ras API but let it die by itself.

I found the following documentation:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa919850.aspx

But the defaults are not closing the connection... am I doing something wrong?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• GPRS won't disconnect after a certain time unless You have that set in the following registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Planner\Settings

CacheTime (dword) = 60
    SuspendResume (string) = GPRS_bye_if_device_off

Ras has nothing to do with that. Besides Ras is a very unstable mechanism and You'd do well if You'll close those connections if You don't need them or next time You'll encounter a need for soft reset to dial at all.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting.

I'm on MSDN just like MD House in the clinic. But I'm also a human which sometimes needs to see another doctor :)
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:31 PM