Handling different timezones RRS feed

• Question

• User-1603239963 posted

Hello,

since some weeks I'm using ASP.NET 2.0 and I'm really impressed of it - Microsoft did a great job.
    Now I got a question and the results I found in Google weren't that helpful, so I hoped I could find some help here:

As a little exercise I want to build some kind of online time management system where people from different countries and different timezones can add appointments they got on a certain date and time. The people should be able to view each others appointments and the program should remind them one hour before their appointments by eMail. Now I run into problems: How can I find out the right time for sending those reminders for each user indepent of his or her time zone? And how can I display all appointments of each user to a certain user within his or her respective timezone?

Are there any standard concepts I could use? Maybe there are some tutorials available?

Thank you in advance, I hope my english will be understood as I'm from Germany.
    Regards
    marco.b

Sunday, October 8, 2006 5:08 PM

All replies

• User-1936818034 posted

Hi~ I think you can give your server the time of zone0, and store every appointment in that time.

For a specific user, if he's from time zone N, when he inserts appointment, make his entered time minus N hours and then store it into DB. When displaying appointments for him, make the time plus N hours and show it.

Monday, October 9, 2006 2:55 AM