none
Need more detailed file format specification documents for word binary format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have template word document which contains some add-ins and those add-ins (which performs some formatting such as list formatting etc) are working fine in the template document. We have our own product (an alternate for word automation) for automating the word document. Once i resave this document, the add-ins are not working properly. I need to know more about the preservation of list id in the document level. We need some detailed documentation explaination about the word binary format specifications. We already have file format specification listed in the link (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx). Can anyone from Microsoft, provide a pointer from where i can get more detailed information about the file format specification of Word documents.(*.doc).

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks
    Vijay
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:14 AM

Answers

• Vijay,

I will archive this information in the event you wish to further investigate the style in question.

Thank you for posting.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• Vijay,

Thanks for your request regarding Word file format specification. One of my colleagues will be working on this and will be in touch with you soon.

Regards,
    Edgar

Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:21 PM
  • Vijay,

I am the engineer who has taken ownership of your question. I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hi Edgar/Dominic,

Thank you for your response. I will be waiting for your information on this.

Regards,
    Vijay

Friday, February 19, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Vijay,

The aforementioned documentation is the most complete specification in regards to the office binary file formats. Everything you need should be included in the documentation. Is there a specific scenario or information you think is missing from the documentation?

Dominic Michael Salemno

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Hi Edgar/Dominic,

In my template document, we have a style named "Lijst nummering". It does not contain any formattings. This style contain only two sprms 0x25 and 0x646. But i can't find the information about these sprms in the documentation.

When i resave this document as docx format, i was very surprised to see the list number id.

<w:style w:type="numbering" w:customStyle="1" w:styleId="Lijstnummering">
     <w:name w:val="Lijst nummering" />
     <w:basedOn w:val="NoList" />
     <w:rsid w:val="00525B1D" />
     <w:pPr>
      <w:numPr>
       <w:numId w:val="6" />
      </w:numPr>
     </w:pPr>
    </w:style>

Can you explain where is that list number id in *.doc format and purpose of 0x25 & 0x646 sprms? The style "Lijst Nummering" in doc format, does not contain any information about the list.

Regards,
    Vijay

Monday, March 1, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Vijay,

I am currently investigating this and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Dominic,

Any update about this.

Regards,
    Vijay
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Vijay,

I am still investigating this. No new information yet.

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Vijay,

Can you send me a sample document to dochelp (at) winse.microsoft.com with what you are observing?

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Vijay,

I will archive this information in the event you wish to further investigate the style in question.

Thank you for posting.

Dominic Michael Salemno

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:48 PM