PowerPivot licensing question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Question
    What SQL server licensing is required to run PowerPivot for SharePoint (SSAS instance in SharePoint Integration Mode)?

Details
    My setup:
    SharePoint 2013 SharePoint Server with Enterprise Client Access License
    SQL Server 2012 Standard SP1 (11.0.3156)
    Both the WFE and SQL Server are running on separate Windows Server 2012 machines

I followed the installation/configuration instructions from Microsoft, and ran into the following error in the PowerPivot logs when I tried to start the ‘SQL Server Analysis Services (POWERPIVOT)’ service:
    Message: The service cannot be started: The 'Analysis Services in SharePoint Integration Mode' feature is not included in the '64 Bit Standard' edition of Analysis Services.

Do we need to upgrade SQL Server to a Business Intelligence or Enterprise license to get this working?  I've seen a few blogs saying yes but I can't find corroborating information on MS's site, and I'd like confirmation before we consider spending the money.

Thank you,
    Matt

• Edited by MattSel Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:03 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:51 PM

Answers

• http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server-editions/

Under the section 'Self-service business intelligence (Alerting, Power View, Power Pivot for SharePoint Server)' this is available only in BI and Enterprise Editions.

Edit: Depending on your requirements, perhaps you can use a Power BI portal instead of hosting on-prem.

GNet Group BI Consultant

• Proposed as answer by greggyb Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:11 PM
    • Edited by greggyb Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Friday, October 30, 2015 6:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:11 PM