locked
Azure Hands-on Lab for SDS RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am new to SDS. So, i was trying some hands on with the labs provided at https://www.microsoft.com/azure/trainingkit.mspx.
    When i finished with the First Exercise of SDS. At the end, there was step of verification i.e. instructions to get all of the data added to the container. When i tried that it was showing two entities which i added at the end but it was not showing the entity added in the start i.e. entity with just two child elements "s:id" and "subject" under "task" element. So, i want to know that if i am missing something or this is supposed to work like this or something else?

    Thanks,
    Akash Kansal.

    akansal
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:26 PM

Answers

  • Hi Akash,

    You are not missing anything.  :)

    If you look carefully at the steps, you will see that the smaller entity was printed only to the console.  The purpose of that step was to show you what a very basic XML payload looked like for an entity.  Notice in the steps you did not call CreateRequest() or a static method on the RestMethods class that would have committed that payload to the service.

    Later, you created a bigger and more complicated version of that 'Task' payload that included more properties and was actually committed to the service (taskA, taskB).

    Sorry if that was not clear.  Thanks!
    Ryan Dunn -- Co-Author, The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming -- SQL Services Evangelist
    • Marked as answer by Anilred Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:43 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:54 PM

All replies

  • Akash,

    This forum is for Windows Azure issues, you should ask future question at the .Net Services and Sql Services forum located here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/getstartnetandsqlservices/threads/
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Can you verify that you are looking at the container and not the authority?  This would be the reason why your other element would no longer be there.

    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Hi Toddher,

    I am just following the instructions given in the "Verification" step of exercise 1. So, i don't think there should be any problem with my query.

    Thanks,
    Akash Kansal.
    akansal
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Hi Akash,

    You are not missing anything.  :)

    If you look carefully at the steps, you will see that the smaller entity was printed only to the console.  The purpose of that step was to show you what a very basic XML payload looked like for an entity.  Notice in the steps you did not call CreateRequest() or a static method on the RestMethods class that would have committed that payload to the service.

    Later, you created a bigger and more complicated version of that 'Task' payload that included more properties and was actually committed to the service (taskA, taskB).

    Sorry if that was not clear.  Thanks!
    Ryan Dunn -- Co-Author, The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming -- SQL Services Evangelist
    • Marked as answer by Anilred Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:43 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:54 PM