Error on Analysis services in SQL best practice analyzer RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi,

We have two SQL 2012 Enterprise servers configured in an active\passive cluster on top of Windows 2012 R2 cluster. We have 4 SQL clustered instances installed and an instance for Microsoft DTC. All instances have below components installed:

SQL DB engine, SQL agent, SQL reporting and SQL integration.

One of them has additionally Analysis services installed and the service is started. When we run SQL best practice analyzer on this instance, we receive the below error:

Analysis services: The instance being scanned exist for sql server version which is not supported

Category: Prerequisites

Source : localhost

Issue: incorrect sql server version in use

impact: analysis cannot be performed

resolution: install sql server 2012

Any idea what this error mean??

Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi AhmadJY,

Thanks for your question.

According to your description, resolution for SQL best practice analyzer is to install SQL server 2012, but SQL server 2012 is already being installed for this instance, right?

From my point of view,  this server may have other SQL server version installed before,  then being deleted. But register keys  for this SQL version not being fully deleted ,and these register keys are being scanned by SQL best practice analyzer.

If this is not the case, you may ignore this error.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 8:23 AM
  • Hi Willson,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes SQL 2012 is being installed for this instance as well as the other three instances. In fact this is a bare-metal installation so I am sure there is no old SQL versions that were installed on those two servers; however how can I check what are the SQL versions installed (if any) using registry?  

Unfortunately our customer will not accept SQL installation and configuration without finalizing this error, they do not want to ignore it.

Friday, December 23, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Hi AhmadJY,

We are currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Hi AhmadJY,

We are currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support

Thanks and appreciated; I will be waiting for your kind input and support.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:29 AM
  • I have an update.

If the SQL instance that has the issue (the analysis services) is active on node 1, I receive the error mentioned above in SQL best practice analyzer and I cannot login to the analyses service using SQL management studio with error below:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51650 (system) 

but if I moved the sql instance to node 2, I do not receive the error in SQL best practice analyzer and I can login to the analyses service using SQL management studio.

What do you think?

Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

We have two SQL 2012 Enterprise servers configured in an active\passive cluster on top of Windows 2012 R2 cluster. We have 4 SQL clustered instances installed and an instance for Microsoft DTC. All instances have below components installed:

SQL DB engine, SQL agent, SQL reporting and SQL integration.

One of them has additionally Analysis services installed and the service is started. When we run SQL best practice analyzer on this instance, we receive the below error:

Analysis services: The instance being scanned exist for sql server version which is not supported

Category: Prerequisites

Source : localhost

Issue: incorrect sql server version in use

impact: analysis cannot be performed

resolution: install sql server 2012

I noticed that if the SQL instance that has the issue (the analysis services) is active on node 1, I receive the error mentioned above in SQL best practice analyzer and I cannot login to the analyses service using SQL management studio with error below:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51650 (system) 

but if I moved the sql instance to node 2, I do not receive the error in SQL best practice analyzer and I can login to the analyses service using SQL management studio.

Can you please advise me on this issue...

Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:13 PM
  • SQL Server Reporting Services is not supported to run in top of a Windows Server Failover Cluster. You need to implement some form of load balancing for this. The Reporting Services databases can run on top of a failover cluster.

Analysis Services is supported to run on a failover cluster. The issue you are experiencing has something to do with the configuration, possibly with the PortIPv6 parameter in the msmdredir.ini configuration file. Check out this article for more details

Troubleshooting Common SQL Server Analysis Services Connectivity Issues

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master/Solutions Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Learn SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery

• Marked as answer by AhmadJY Sunday, January 1, 2017 5:48 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 5:00 AM