Errors Upgrading Team Project after Upgrading Server from 2010 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am currently testing my company's upgrade from TFS 2010 SP1 to TFS 2012 Update 3. I detached our collection db from TFS 2010, backed it up, restored it to a sandbox 2010 server, then upgraded it to TFS 2012. Now I started going through the process of manually upgrading each team project to enable the new features. Almost every single team project uses the default agile 5.1 template with minimal customizations like 'AllowedValues' clauses and such. 

I was able to get every team project upgraded except one. When I tried to configure the new features for this one project, it gave me these errors:

[Warning] TF400609: Cannot add the action 'Microsoft.VSTS.Actions.StartWork' to the work item type 'Task' because the state 'New' does not exist.

[Warning] TF400609: Cannot add the action 'Microsoft.VSTS.Actions.StopWork' to the work item type 'Task' because the state 'New' does not exist.

[Error] TF400654: Unable to configure Planning Tools. The following element contains an error: RequirementWorkItems. TF400517: The value of this element is set to: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StoryPoints. You must set the value to a field that exists in all of the work item types that are defined in RequirementWorkItems. The field does not exist in the following work item types: Bug.

I don't understand why it would be throwing these errors for just this 1 team project. The 'Task' template in this project is the exact same as all the others. The only difference in the Bug template is it has 2 custom free text fields. I even tried taking those fields out of the template, but the configuration still reported the same errors.

I know I can try to go through the steps to manually update the project as outlined here - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh913787.aspx - but I don't understand why I would have to when all the other projects upgrade just fine. Can anyone offer any kind of advice as to how I can get around this? 

Thanks,

Patrick

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:13 PM

Answers

• No, please see details in my original post above (using agile 5.1 with minimal customizations).

I did however just get this issue resolved. I'm not sure why it worked, but all I did was manually add the reference to the Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StoryPoints field in the XML template of the Bug, and then I was able to run the configuration update no problem. Doesn't make any sense to me as to why that works as none of the other Bug templates needed that. However, I'm just glad the issue is gone now. 

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick, 

Thanks for your post. 

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

The below error occurs for only "Bug" work item type.

[Error] TF400654: Unable to configure Planning Tools. The following element contains an error: RequirementWorkItems. TF400517: The value of this element is set to: Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StoryPoints. You must set the value to a field that exists in all of the work item types that are defined in RequirementWorkItems. The field does not exist in the following work item types: Bug

Could you please check the Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StoryPoints field was included in Bug.xml ?

Thanks,

Chandra

Monday, October 7, 2013 7:45 PM
  • The field Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StoryPoints does not exist in any of our bug templates. We only have the StoryPoints field in the User Story template. That's why I don't understand the error messages, every single team project upgraded fine except just this one. All the other bug templates didn't have the StoryPoints field in them, and still don't after the upgrade and feature configuration.

Thanks,

Patrick

Monday, October 7, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Are you trying to upgrade custom process template?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:14 PM
  • No, please see details in my original post above (using agile 5.1 with minimal customizations).

I did however just get this issue resolved. I'm not sure why it worked, but all I did was manually add the reference to the Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.StoryPoints field in the XML template of the Bug, and then I was able to run the configuration update no problem. Doesn't make any sense to me as to why that works as none of the other Bug templates needed that. However, I'm just glad the issue is gone now. 

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:40 PM