none
HelpViewer broken for TFS API?

Question

• I'm installing a new machine, and I slapped Visual Studio 2015 (and a few more versions of VS on it). Then I selected Help, ask for local content, and made my selections to download. That included Application Lifecycle Management. When the download was completed, I looked around in the contents to find the reference for the TFS VersionControl classes that I have occasionally have need to consult.

When I did not find them, I looked up one of the classes, VersionControlServer, in the index, and indeed it was there. Now I selected "Sync with contents" from the toolbar. Whereupon the cursor went to the top node! That is, it seems that the contents is there, but it is not in the table of contents. And for a class reference, that is almost the same as the contents is not there.

When I think of it, I think I've seen this on my machine at work where I have VS 2013.

Anyone who has any tips to fix this?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 9:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Erland,

According to your description, this issue is related to Help Viewer, the VS General forum is the better place for this issue and I will move it there for you.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:26 AM
  • In case anyone here consider answering this thread, please answer to this thread instead:

http://social.Msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsversioncontrol/thread/7a7057ef-1d98-429c-a854-542a4cdabc58#7a7057ef-1d98-429c-a854-542a4cdabc58

I am not monitoring the forum that the moderator moved it to without my consent, so it's useless to post here.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Hi Erland,

>>When I did not find them, I looked up one of the classes, VersionControlServer, in the index, and indeed it was there. Now I selected "Sync with contents" from the toolbar. Whereupon the cursor went to the top node! That is, it seems that the contents is there, but it is not in the table of contents. And for a class reference, that is almost the same as the contents is not there.

How did you " Now I selected "Sync with contents" from the toolbar"? Could you share us a screen shot about the real result in your side?

Like this document here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh580784.aspx

It is the same function if we use the Ctrl+S(To synchronize the TOC with the topic window), am I right?

I could get the VersionControlServer class in the Index window like this screen shot.

But the real issue is that we couldn't find them in the Content if I click "Ctrl+S" or search it directly in the content window.

If so, I think I could repro this issue in my side using the VS2015 Enterprise with update1.

In addition, I also try to search it using the following link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.teamfoundation.versioncontrol.client.versioncontrolserver_events(v=vs.120).aspx

Or use the "parent" document like the following link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb130146(v=vs.120).aspx

It really has no the content in the help library. One issue is that the above links just have the VS2013's documents, no VS2015 (I will share the screen shot in another reply).

So I doubt that the real issue is that the VS2015 help library was not updated.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 01, 2016 6:39 AM
  • But if I use other class or event, for example, if I select "DarkOrange enumeration member" in index window, it would show it in Content windows normally if I use "Ctrl+S".

Since I could repro this issue, I think we could add the Help Viewer's feedback to the connect report team.

I help you submit one, you could vote it here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/2192680/helpviewer-broken-for-tfs-api

Best Regards,

Jack

Friday, January 01, 2016 6:50 AM
  • Jack

why creating another connect issues ?

the issue is already known and a Connect issue does already exists:

his is a general issue affecting other parts of the documentation and it is known since 3-4 weeks:

VS2015: .NET Framework content missing in Help Viewer?

Help Viewer Content for ".NET Framework 4.6 and 4.5" missing on Microsoft Connect.

Jack,

could you merge the two connect issues or at least link them together ?

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Friday, January 01, 2016 11:32 AM
  • I am not sure that these are the same issues. They are surely a token of the same underlying problem: not very much attention is given to the downloadable documentation. But the two issues exhibit differently.

In the case I brought up, the contents is there, but not reachable through the TOC, possibly because two parent topics have been lost.

But in the other case, which took me a while to figure out, because the missing class is not really called System.Enumerable, but System.Linq.Enumerable, the content is missing entirely. It appears that all nodes below the second entry for the System.Linq namespace have been lost.

I seem to recall similar issues when the downloadable docs for SQL 2014 became available. There were links to topics in the downloadable docs that were not there, but the SQL Server people were eventually able to fix these. So I think it is correct to raise an issue every time this is observed, because there is no magical wand to fix them all in a single spell, but it is hard work to get the downloadable docs to be comlpete and usable.

Friday, January 01, 2016 10:46 PM
  • Thanks for Daniel_Steiner and Erland  Sommarskog's friendly response.

@Daniel_Steiner,

The connect shared by you was about the whole .NET 4.5 and 4.6 contents, for the specific API like the TFS or others, like Erland 's suggestion, maybe we could create the different connect reports, so the specific team like the TFS team or others could evaluate them seriously. Sorry for that I have no account to merge the two connect reports, but I will also vote the report shared by you. Thanks for your feedback:)

@Erland  Sommarskog,

I help you submit a report, please also vote it, we could pay more attentions to it, we will get email notification for update.

Sincerely,

Jack

Monday, January 04, 2016 5:52 AM